Organization of the troops in the Department of the Gulf (Nineteenth Army Corps), Maj. Gen. Nathaniel P. Banks, U.S. Army, commanding, April 30, 1863;
headquarters Opelousas, La.
Maj. Gen. CHRISTOPHER C. AUGUR.
Col. EDWARD P. CHAPIN.
- 21st Maine, Col. Elijah D. Johnson.
- 48th Massachusetts, Col. Eben F. Stone.
- 49th Massachusetts, Col.Wm. F. Bartlett.
- 116th New York, Maj. George M. Love.
Brig. Gen. GODFREY WEITZEL.
- 12th Connecticut, Lieut. Col. Frank H. Peck.
- 75th New York, Lieut. Col. Willoughby Babcock.
- 114th New York, Lieut. Col. Samuel R. Per Lee.
- 160th New York, Lieut. Col. John B. Van Petten.
- 8th Vermont, Col. Stephen Thomas.
Attached to Second Brigade.
- 1st Louisiana Cavalry, Companies A and B, Capt. H. F. Williamson.
- 2d Massachusetts Cavalry Battalion, Company B, Lieut. Solon A. Perkins.
- 1st Maine Battery, Lieut. John E. Morton.
- 6th Massachusetts Battery, Lieut. John F. Phelps.
- 1st U.S. Artillery, Battery A, Capt. E. C. Bainbridge.
Col. NATHAN A. M. DUDLEY.
- 2d Louisiana, Col. Charles L Paine.
- 30th Massachusetts, Lieut. Col. William W. Bullock.
- 50th Massachusetts, Col. C. P. Messer.
- 161st New York, Col. Gabriel T. Harrower.
- 174th New York, Maj. George Keating.
- 1st Louisiana Native Guards, Col. Spencer H. Stafford.
- 3d Louisiana Native Guards.
- 4th Louisiana Native Guards.
- 1st Louisiana Cavalry, Companies C and E, Capt. J. F. Godfrey.
- 2d Rhode Island Cavalry (battalion).
- 1st Indiana Heavy Artillery, Col. John A. Keith.
- 12th Massachusetts Battery, Lieut. Edwin M. Chamberlin.
Brig. Gen. THOMAS W. SHERMAN.
Brig. Gen. NEAL DOW.
- 26th Connecticut, Col. Thomas G. Kingsley.
- 6th Michigan, Col. Thomas S. Clark.
- 15th New Hampshire, Col. John W. Kingman.
- 128th New York, Col. David S. Cowles.
Col. ALPHA B. FARR.
- 9th Connecticut, Lieut. Col. Richard Fitz Gibbons.
- 28th Maine, Col. Ephraim W. Woodman.
- 26th Massachusetts, Lieut. Col. Josiah A. Sawtell.
- 42d Massachusetts, Lieut. Col. Joseph Stedman.
- 47th Massachusetts, Col. Lucius B. Marsh.
Col. FRANK S. NICKERSON.
- 14th Maine, Lieut. Col. Thomas W. Porter.
- 24th Maine, Col. George M. Atwood.
- 165th New York, Lieut. Col. Abel Smith, Jr.
- 177th New York, Col. Ira W. Ainsworth.
- 18th New York Battery, Capt. Albert G. Mack.
- 5th United States, Battery G, Lieut. Jacob B. Rawles.
- 1st Vermont Battery, Capt. George T. Hebard.
DEFENSES OF NEW ORLEANS. (2
- 2d Louisiana Native Guards (detachment).
- 12th Maine, Company D, Capt. Elisha Winter.
- 13th Maine, Col. Henry Rust, Jr.
- 31st Massachusetts (detachment).
- 4th Wisconsin, Company G, Capt. James Keefe.
- 2d Massachusetts Cavalry Battalion, Company A.
- 14th New York Cavalry (detachment).
- 1st Texas Cavalry, Col. Edmund J. Davis.
- 1st Louisiana Native Guards, Heavy Artillery, Company B.
- 13th Massachusetts Battery, Capt. Charles H. J. Hamlen.
- 21st New York Battery, Capt. James Barnes.
- 25th New York Battery, Capt. John A. Grow.
- 26th New York Battery, Capt. George W. Fox.
Brig. Gen. WILLIAM H. EMORY.
Col. TIMOTHY INGRAHAM.(3)
- 4th Massachusetts, Lieut. Col. Ebon T. Colby.
- 16th New Hampshire, Lieut. Col. Henry Fuller.
- 110th New York, Col. Clinton H. Sage.
- 162d New York, Lieut. Col. Justus W. Blanchard.
Col. HALBERT E. PAINE.
- 8th New Hampshire, Col. Hawkes Fearing, Jr.
- 133d New York, Col. Leonard D. H. Currie.
- 173d New York, Maj. A. Power Gallway.
- 4th Wisconsin, Lieut. Col. Sidney A. Bean.
Col. OLIVER P. GOODING.
- 31st Massachusetts, Lieut. Col. W. S. B. Hopkins.
- 38th Massachusetts, Lieut. Col. William L. Rodman.
- 53d Massachusetts, Col. John W. Kimball.
- 156th New York, Lieut. Col. Jacob Sharpe.
- 175th New York.
Capt. RICHARD C. DURYEA.
- 4th Massachusetts Battery, Lieut. Joseph B. Briggs.
- 1st United States, Battery F, Capt. Richard C. Duryea.
- 2d Vermont Battery, Capt. Pythagoras E. Holcomb.
- 2d Rhode Island (detachment).
Brig. Gen. CUVIER GROVER.
Brig. Gen. WILLIAM DWIGHT, Jr.(4)
- 1st Louisiana, Col. R. E. Holcomb.
- 22d Maine, Lieut. Col. O.G. Putnam.
- 6th New York, Lieut. Col. M. Cassidy.
- 91st New York, Col. Jacob Van Zandt. D. Sargent.
- 131st New York, Lieut. Col. N. W. Day.
Col. WILLIAM K. KIMBALL.
- 24th Connecticut, Col. S. M. Mansfield.
- 12th Maine, Lieut. Col. Edward Ilsley.
- 41st Massachusetts, Lieut. Col. Lorenzo.
- 52d Massachusetts, Col. H. S. Greenleaf.
Col. HENRY W. BIRGE.
- 13th Connecticut, Lieut. Col. Alexander Warner.
- 25th Connecticut, Col. George P. Bissell.
- 26th Maine, Col. Nathaniel H. Hubbard.
- 159th Now York, Col. Edward L. Molineux.
Capt. HENRY W. CLOSSON.
- 2d Massachusetts Battery, Capt. Ormand F. Nims.
- 1st United States, Battery L, Capt. Henry W. Closson.
- 2d United States, Battery C, Lieut. John L Rodgers.
BRASHEAR CITY, LA.(5
Col. CHARLES E. L. HOLMES.
- 23d Connecticut, Col. Charles E. L. Holmes.
- 176th New York, Col. Charles C. Nott.
SHIP ISLAND, MISS.
- 2d Louisiana Native Guards (detachment), Col. Nathan W. Daniels.
DISTRICT OF KEY WEST AND TORTUGAS.(6
Brig. Gen. DANIEL P. WOODBURY.
- 90th New York, Lieut. Col. Louis W. Tinelli.
- 47th Pennsylvania, Col. Tilghman H. Good.
DISTRICT OF WEST FLORIDA.(7
Col. WILLIAM C. HOLBROOK.
- 28th Connecticut, Col. Samuel P. Ferris.
- 15th Maine, Lieut. Col. Benjamin B. Murray, Jr.
- 7th Vermont, Lieut. Col. David B. Peck.
- 2d U.S. Artillery, Battery H, Capt. Frank H. Larned.
- 2d U.S. Artillery, Battery K, Capt. Harvey A. Allen.
- The divisions were numbered as herein indicated January 14, 1863, and the batteries were assigned January 17, 1863.
- Brigadier-General Sherman assumed command of these defenses January 10, 1863.
- Succeeded Brig. Gen. George L. Andrews (assigned to command February 21), who was appointed chief of staff at department headquarters March 6.
- Assigned February 12.
- Detachments at La Fourche Crossing and Tigerville.
- Transferred to Department of the Gulf, and General Woodbury assigned to command by General Orders, No. 66, Adjutant-General's Office, March 16, 1863.
- Known also as the District of Pensacola.
Compiled by Walter G. Blenderman;
Created 12/30/1998; code revised 5/2/2000
Return to 53rd Home Page