Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

The following is a history of Maine National Guard. The 54th Regiment C.A.C. was a part of this history. Supplied by Joe and Dana Smyth

Portland Light Infantry & 240th AAA Group


PREFACE

When it was decided to assemble this brochure in commemoration of the One Hundred and Fifty-Fourth Anniversary of the chartering of the Portland Light Infantry and the first joint meeting of the Veterans Association with the 240th Antiaircraft Artillery Groups it was realized that the histories of the two organizations were separate but that many of the military facts were common to both.

Therefore in order to eliminate the many duplications that would appear in both histories, all military matters pertaining to organization subsequent to 1860, have, with a few exceptions been omitted from the Portland Light Infantry.

It is desired to express our appreciation to Major General George M. Carter, the Adjutant General of the State of Maine, and his staff for their assistance in having this program published.


OFFICIAL STATEMENT OF LINEAGE AND BATTLE HONORS. HEADQUARTERS AND HEADQUARTERS BATTERY 240th ANTIAIRCRAFT ARTILLERY GROUP MAINE NATIONAL GUARD 

Parent unit constituted 21 June 1854 as 1st Regiment, Maine Volunteer Militia and organized in July 1854 from volunteer companies in Portland and vicinity 1803-1854 (additional volunteer companies to complete regiment organized 1856-1861)

Mustered into Federal service 3 May 1861 as 1st Regiment of Maine Volunteers; mustered out 5 August 1861 at Portland.

Reorganized 28 September 1861 as 10th Maine Volunteer Infantry and mustered into Federal service 3 October 1861 at Cape Elizabeth Maine Co.

Reorganized 26 April 1863 as 10th Maine Battalion.

Consolidated 1 November 1863 with 29th Maine Veteran Volunteer Infantry Regiment.

Mustered out of Federal service 21 June 1866 at Hilton Head, South Carolina.

Reorganized 5 April 1873 as 1st Infantry Maine Volunteer Militia (Companies A and B reorganized in 1868).

(Maine Volunteer Militia redesignated Maine National Guard 6 November 1893)

Mustered into Federal service 5-14 May 1898 at Augusta as 1st Maine Volunteer Infantry Regiment, mustered out 25 October-13 December 1898 (did not serve outside Continental United States) and resumed State status.

Broken up 1 January 1910 and reorganized as numbered companies (Companies 1-12), Coast Artillery Corps (13th Company organized 1915).

Called into Federal service 25 July 1917, drafted in 5 August 1917.

Redesignated various numbered companies in Forts Williams, Levett, McKinley, Baldwin, Preble, and Lyon, Coast Defense of Portland, 11 August 1917.

Redesignated numbered companies (17-29) of Coast Defense of Portland, 31 August 1917. (Less four companies remaining in Coast Defense of Portland) redesignated 54th Artillery Regiment, CAC, 31 December 1917 (3 companies of 54th Artillery from Regular Army).

54th Artillery Regiment reorganized as replacement battalions for heavy artillery September-November 1918; reorganized as 54th Artillery Regiment December 1918.

(Four companies remained in Coast Defense of Portland demobilized December 1918 and January 1919, and) 54th Artillery Regiment, CAC, demobilized 13 March 1919 at Camp Devens, Massachusetts.

Reorganized 11 July 1922 as 1st Coast Defense Command, Coast Artillery Corps, Maine National Guard (Company designations changed from 1-6 to 301-306, 10 January 1922).

Redesignated 17 September 1923 as 240th Artillery Regiment (Coast Artillery Corps) (Numbered companies redesignated as lettered Batteries).

Redesignated 16 April 1924 as 240th Coast Artillery Regiment (Harbor Defense).

Inducted into Federal service 16 September 1940 at Portland.

Regiment broken up 7 October 1944 Headquarters and Headquarters Battery (see ANNEX) redesignated Battery E, 185th Coast Artillery Battalion (Harbor Defense).

(1st Battalion redesignated 185th Coast Artillery Battalion; 2d Battalion redesignated 186th Coast Artillery Battalion; elements of 3d Battalion disbanded).

Battery E, 185th Coast Artillery Battalion redesignated Battery E, Harbor Defense of Portland. 1 April 1945.

Redesignated Battery E, 185th Coast Artillery Battalion (Harbor Defense), and inactivated 30 June 1946 at Peake Island, Maine.

Redesignated Headquarters and Headquarters Battery 219th Anti-aircraft Artillery Groups 1 July 1946.

Redesignated Headquarters and Headquarters Battery 240th Anti-aircraft Artillery Groups 8 January 1947, and Federally recognized 6 February 1947 at South Portland.


 ANNEX: Headquarters Battery, 240th AAA Group.

Constituted and organized and Federally recognized 11 February 1923 at Portland as Headquarters Detachment, 1st Coast Defense Command, CAC, Maine National Guard.

Redesignated Headquarters Battery, 240th Coast Artillery Regiment CAC, 17 September 1923.

Redesignated Headquarters Battery, 240th Coast Artillery Regiment, (Harbor Defense), 16 April 1924.

Headquarters Battery (less Band Section), 240th Coast Artillery Regiment (Harbor Defense), redesignated Headquarters Battery, 240th Coast Artillery Regiment (Harbor Defense), 1 March 1940.

Inducted into Federal service 16 September 1940 at Portland.

(Headquarters and) Headquarters Battery, 240th Coast Artillery Regiment reorganized and redesignated Battery E, 185th Coast Artillery Battalion (Harbor Defense), 7 October 1944.

HOME STATION:

South Portland

CAMPAIGN STREAMERS:

Civil War:

Valley

Manassas

Antietam

Chancellorsville

Louisiana 1864

Shenandoah

World War I:

Without inscription

DECORATIONS:

None

The Commanders of the Portland Light Infantry or their successor military units since 1803 have been as follows:

PORTLAND LIGHT INFANTRY

Capt Ezekiel Day 1803 (formerly 1st Lt. In Portland Federal volunteers)

Capt Levi Bradish 1803 - 1809

Capt Francis Osgood 1809 - 1812

Capt Nathaniel Shaw 1812 - 1815

Capt J. H. Hall 1815 - 1819

Capt James Hanley 1819 - 1822

Capt Jonathan Smith 1822 - 1824

Capt Benjamine Ilsley 1824 - 1830

Capt Arthur M. Small 1830 - 1833

Capt William Capen 1833 - 1836

Capt Joseph Ilsley 1836 - 1838

Capt Horace Fobbs 1838 - 1840

Capt Charles Hacklyft 1840 - 1841

Capt John S. Wilson 1841 - 1849

Capt Samuel J. Anderson 1849 - 1854

COMPANY A, FIRST INFANTRY REGIMENT

Capt Charles C. Harmon 1854 to 1858

Capt Albion Witham 1858 to 1861

COMPANY A, FIRST MAINE VOLUNTEERS

Capt George W. Tukey 1861 (Civil War Period)

PORTLAND LIGHT INFANTRY

Capt Charles P. Mattocks 1868 to 1872

COMPANY A, FIRST MAINE VOLUNTEER MILITIA

Capt Nathan G. Fessenden 1872 to 1874

Capt Jesse T. Reynolds 1874 to 1875

Capt John C. Cobb 1875 to 1877

Capt Herbert A. Jackson 1877 to 1879

Capt Clarence A. Weston 1879 to 1882

Capt Henry A. McDonald 1882 to 1883

Capt Benjamine A. Norton 1883 to 1889

Capt Fred G. Rogers 1889 to 1891

COMPANY A, FIRST MAINE INFANTRY NATIONAL GUARD

Capt George A. Dow 1891 to 1901

Capt Burton K. Kennard 1901 to 1905

Capt Herbert I. Low 1905 to 1907

FIRST COMPANY COAST ARTILLERY CORPS, MAINE NATIONAL GUARD

Capt Frank E. Commins 1907 to 1912

Capt William A. Powers 1912 to 1914

Capt Havey P. Winslow 1914 to 1915

Capt George E. Fogg 1915 to 1917

Capt Washington La Mosley 1917(World War I Period)

COMPANY A, THIRD INFANTRY, MAINE NATIONAL GUARD

Capt Nathan Redlon 1918 to 1919

Capt B. H. Haggett 1919 to 1920

FIRST COMPANY COAST ARTILLERY CORPS, MAINE NATIONAL GUARD

Capt Washington L. Mosley 1920 to 1921

Capt L. M. Lawton 1921 to 1922

FIRST COAST DEFENSE COMMAND, COAST ARTILLERY CORPS, MAINE NATIONAL GUARD. 240TH ARTILLERY (COAST ARTILLERY CORPS) MAINE NATIONAL GUARD. 240th COAST ARTILLERY (HARBOR DEFENSE), MAINE NATIONAL GUARD.

Capt Roy M. Somers 1922 to 1925

Capt H. A. Peabody 1925 to 1926

Capt 0. H. Wright 1926 to 1928

Capt True B. Eveleth 1928 to 1933

Capt Edwin H. Sanborn 1934 to 1938

Capt True B. Eveleth 1939 (World War II Period)

240TH ANTIAIRCRAFT ARTILLERY GROUP

Col Edward D. Graham 1947 to 1948

Lt. Col Edwin W. Heywood 1948 to 1951

Col Harold M. Lawrence 1951 to date


 HISTORY OF THE 240TH ANTIAIRCRAFT ARTILLERY GROUP (FIRST MAINE)

MAINE NATIONAL GUARD 

THE MILITIA OF MAINE had its beginning with the first settlers. After the Revolution (1775-1783), the Commonwealth of Massachusetts of which Maine was then a part had a militia system, requiring every able-bodied citizen to enroll in a militia company. As the population increased, the number of militia companies increased until in 1843 there were 641 companies enrolled. The State was divided into military areas y similar to the Army Areas into which the United States is now divided for military administration of the Department of the Army activities. There were nine of these divisions, and Portland was in the 5th Division.

The Law of 1848, Maine Legislature authorized Volunteer Companies to be organized, and in 1852, 50 new volunteer companies were organized. Four new companies were organized in 1853, making a total of 51 companies on the Registrar, but only 16 of them sent in returns showing that very little training was being given most of the companies.

In 1854, there were 58 volunteer companies, and the Petition of the Volunteer Companies in and about Portland, that they be styled the 1st Regiment was granted by Orders in Council, approved 21 June 1854, and General Smith of the 5th Division was ordered to carry out the plan. The request of the President of the United States made in 1847 during the war with Mexico, that a regiment of infantry be enrolled and held in readiness for, field duty was accomplished on paper, but the regiment never had its field Officers, and never was assembled for training. This facts and the general influence of the Crimean War of 1853-56 had excited the military spirit of Maine and brought into life many of the new organizations of Volunteer companies of 1854-55 and 1856.

The 1st Infantry Regiment as originally organized by General Smith of the 5th Division, was as follows:

A Company Portland Light Infantry, Capt Harmon, org. 1803

B Company Portland Mechanics Blues, Capt T. A. Roberts, org. 1803

A Company Portland Rifle Corps, Capt Pierce, org. 1810

B Company Portland Light Guards, Capt Green, org. 1854

B Company Portland Rifle Guards, Capt C. E. Roberts, org. 1854

D Company Saccarappa Light Infantry, Westbrook, Capt Jordan, org. 1854

E Company Gorham Light Infantry, Capt Harding, org. 1819

Brunswick Light Infantry, org. 1804

Bath City Grays, Lt. Richardson, org. 1854

Harraseeket Guards, Freeport, Capt Osgood, org. 1854

(Bath Company transferred from the 4th Division)

The regiment continued as above in 1855; in 1856, 47 of the 56 volunteer companies of the State were disbanded, having lost interest in military affairs, but the First Regiment continued from 1856 to 1859 organized as follows; without however, having a yearly training and assembly period when all units were together.

1ST REGIMENT a 1856 TO 1859

A Company, Portland Light Infantry, Capt Witham org. 1803

B Company, Portland Mechanic Blues, Capt T. A. Roberts, org. 1807

C Company, Portland Light Guards, Capt E. F. Kendall, org. 1854

D Company, Saccarappa Light Infantry,

Capt Brook, Capt Hiram Jordan, org. 1854

E Company, Gorham Light Infantry, Capt C. Harding, org. 1819

A Company, Riflemen, Portland Rifle Corps,

Capt A. D Marr, org. 1810

B Company, Riflemen, Portland Rifle Guards,

Capt C. E. Roberts org. 1854

In 1860 the military areas in the state were cut down from nine to three. Portland was then in the 3d Division. A change in the units assignee to the First Regiment, 3d Division was made, the Regiment being as follows in 1860:

A Company Portland Light Infantry, org. 1803

B Company Portland Mechanic Blues, org. 1807

C Company Portland Light Guards, org 1854

G Company Lewiston Light Infantry, org. 1821

H Company Norway Light Infantry, org. 1810

A Company Riflemen Portland Rifle Corps, org. 1810

B Company Riflemen Portland Rifle Guards, org. 1854

A Company Cavalry, Acton, Capt Cyrus Grant, org. 1856

A Company Artillery, Auburn, Capt James S. Nash, org. 1856

The inclusion of Cavalry and Artillery in the Infantry Regiment seems to have been an early recognition of the need of assistance by the Infantry of other arms of the military service.

In the Civil War, 1861-65, the oldest and best-organized volunteer companies of the State of Maine were the first to volunteer their services. Of the 9 companies of the Regiment in 1860, 8 volunteered at once.

Two new units were formed one in Portland and one in Lewiston, making ten volunteer companies, which composed the 1st Maine Volunteers.

The Regiment was as follows:

A Company Portland Light Infantry, Capt Tukey, org. 1803

B Company Portland Mechanic Blues, Capt Walker, org. 1807

C Company Portland Light Guards, Capt Fessenden, org. 1854

D Company Portland Rifle Corps, Capt Meserve, org. 1810

E Company Portland Rifle Guards, Capt Shaw, org. 1854

F Company Lewiston Light Infantry, Capt Stevens org. 1821

G Company Norway Light Infantry, Capt Beal org. 1810

H Company Auburn Artillery Capt Emerson, org. 1856

I Company 2nd C, Portland Rifle Guards, Capt Quimby, org. 1861

K Company Lewiston Zouaves, Capt Osgood, org. 1861 (new)

President Lincoln called for 75,000 three months' volunteers on 15 April 1861. Ten days later, the State Legislature authorized the organization of the 1st Maine Volunteers, and on 28 April 1861, the Regiment was organized for active duty and mustered into the United States Service for three months by Capt J. W. T. Gardner, of the Second United States Dragoons, 3 May 1861 at Portland. They numbered seven hundred and seventy-nine men.

It went into camp on 8 May, in a field across the cove from the Marine Hospital in Portland. Being quarantined for measles, the regiment was delayed until 2 June 3 when it left for Washington D. C. and camped at Meridan Hill near 14th Street. It performed guard duty, and received some training till August 1, 1861 a when it was returned to Portland and mustered out on August 5, 1861.

This regiment was raised at a time when the National capitol was in great danger, when Baltimore was in insurrections when general gloom pervaded the North, and when everyone who enlisted expected to be called into immediate service, and be assigned posts of danger. Not a man enlisted who did not regard this as inevitable.

The regiment had enlisted in the service of the State for two years but as they could not be moved outside the limits of the State after their term of three months' muster-in had expired, and the Governor did not claim their services longer, they were disbanded.

The regiment furnished many officers and from the non-commissioned officers and privates of the different companies, many other officers for every regiment that was raised in the State during the Civil War.

THE 10th MAINE VOLUNTEER INFANTRY

In August 1861, the companies that composed the 1st Regiment, Maine Volunteers (781 men) were to be filled and serve out the remainder of their 2 years enlistment with the State.

On 9 September 1861, the First Maine Was called back to reorganize at Camp Preble, Cape Elizabeth, Maine On 28 September, 1861 the 1st Maine Volunteer Infantry ceased to exist, and the 10th Maine was organized on the same date from the companies of the 1st Maine as follows:

Company A Captain Adams, Saco

Company B Captain Walker, P. M. B. org 1807

Company C Captain Jordan, Portland

Company D Captain West, Fort Kent

Company E Captain Estes, Portland Rifle Guards org 1854

Company F Captain Knowlton, Lewiston Light Inf. org 1821

Company G Captain Beal, Norway Light Inf. org 1810

Company H Captain Emerson, Auburn Arty, org 1856

Company I Captain Ferbish, 2d Co. Portland Rifle Guards, org 1861

Company K Captain Nye, Lewiston Zouaves, org April 1861

Companies A and D of the former regimental organizations became disintegrated. Company C was reorganized by the fusion of its elements with those of Companies A and D under Captain Jordan.

The regiment was mustered into the United States Services on 4 October 1861 by Maj. Seth Eastman of the First United States Infantry at Portland and left Portland where it had been encamped nearly four weeks, on the sixth of the same month Colonel Beat, commanding, being conveyed by rail to Fall River, it embarked on board the steamer State of Maine and after 24 hours of rough tempestuous weather, arrived at New York with the loss of one man. The regiment continued its journey and was soon encamped at Camp Washington, Patterson Park, Baltimore; it was moved several times doing railroad guard duty all winter. In May 1862 it moved to Harpers Ferry, Maryland. On 24 May Company C lost 6 men wounded while on outpost duty near Winchester, Virginia. Both Companies C and I were engaged with the enemy advance guard cavalry on 24 October making the first real contact with the enemy under fire for the 10th Maine. On 25 May 1862 the regiment was in reserve at the Battle of Winchester, which ended in Banks precipitate retreat before the Advance of Stonewall Jackson. In the retreat the regiment was the rear guard to the Corps from Winchester to Williamsport. It marched 35 miles and lost 74 men, mostly captured, due to straggling.

On 9 Augusta 1862, the regiment took part in the Battle of Cedar Mountain, Virginia, sustaining great losses. It went into battle with a total strength of 26 officers and 435 men and lost 170 officers and men.

On 17 September, 1862 the 10th Maine fought well in the Battle of Antietam where McClellan's army attacked Lee's army in a piece meal action a which would have resulted differently if the Federal Army had made a combined assault at the same hour.

The 10th Maine was sent home on 26 April 1863, their two-year enlistment having expired. Companies A and D which had enlisted for three years with a few recruits numbering in a11 250 men were left behind. Eight companies with a total of 450 men returned home, arriving in Portland 1 May 1863, where they were mustered out 7-8 May 1863. Most of the men re-enlisted under Colonel Beal, their old commander forming the 29th Maine Veterans Volunteers regiment, to which the 10th Battalion was united on 2 March 1864. Seventy-four per cent of the officers and 63 per cent of the NCO's of the new 29th Maine were former members of the 10th Maine Infantry. Also a large number of privates re-enlisted in the 29th Maine, from the old 10th.

THE 10TH MAINE BATTALION

On 26 April 1863 the 10th Maine Battalion was organized from three-year men of the 10th Maine Infantry Regiment and assigned as provost Guard 12th Corps. It was organized as follow:

Company A (old Company) Captain Adams (55 men)

Company D (old Company) Capt Beardsley (54 men)

One hundred thirty seven recruits from the other old companies of the 10th Maine were organized into Company B, Lt. Haskell, a new organization and the surplus sent to the other old companies (A and D)

The 10th Maine Battalion participated in the Battle of Chancellorsville, Virginia, losing 2 killed and 2 wounded. The three-year men detached and made up the 10th Maine Battalion were ordered restored to the reorganized regiment on 17 June 1863. This was confirmed on 22 August 1863. The battalion continued with the 12th Corps until 2 March 1864 when it was relieved to join the 29th Maine at Morganza, Pennsylvania.

THE 29TH MAINE VETERAN VOLUNTEERS

The 10th Maine was authorized reorganized by letter from the War Department on 17 June 1863. On 25 June 1863 reenlisted men were designated as Veteran Volunteers and authorized a bounty of $402.00 payable in installments. On 10 July 1863, the State of Maine announced the conditions of reenlistment for Maine veterans, and on 29 July 1863, Colonel Beal was authorized to raise the 29th Maine Veterans Volunteers.

The eight companies were recruited slowly and assembled at Augusta but it was not until 17 December 1863 that Colonel Beal was mustered in. The 8 companies with three of the 10th Battalion in the field made up the required number. The 29th Maine was sent to New Orleans, and participated in the Red River Expedition under Banks from 15 March to 22 June, 1864. It fought in three battles of this expedition as follows:

April 8, 1864 Battle of Savine Cross Roads, La

April 9, 1864 Battle of Pleasant Hills, La

April 23, 1864 Battle of Cane River Crossing, La

On 13 July 1864 the regiment landed in Washington D. C. and marched a great deal chasing General Early until August 10, 1864 when General Sheridan took charge of the Shenandoah Valley Federal Army.

19 September 1864, Battle of Apequan, Va

22 September, 1864, Battle of Fishery Hill, Va

19 October, 1864, Battle of Cedar Creek, Va

The regiment took part in the Grand Review of Washington on 23 May1865 and was sent on June 1st to Savannah and was distributed to various parts of South Carolina on reconstruction duty, where it remained until relieved by the Regular Army, 21 June 1866, It was mustered out and all finally paid off on 29 June 1866.

From 1866 to 1872 (6 years) nothing was done toward reorganization the 1st Maine Vol. M. Ten companies of Volunteers were authorized by the act of 1869. In 1867 there was no organized militia, the companies of State Guards organized in 1863 having been virtually disbanded. In 1868 only 2 companies had been organized namely the Portland Light Infantry, and the Portland Mechanic Blues. In 1869 seven companies had been organized.

In 1873 the 1st Maine Volunteer Militia was reorganized on 5 April as follows:

A Company, Portland Light, Infantry, org. 1803

B Company, Portland Mechanic Blues, org. 1807

C Company, Auburn Light Infantry (formerly Artillery), org. 1856

D Company, Norway Light Infantry, org. 1810

E Company, Skowhegan Light Infantry, org. 1869

F Company, Capital Guards, Augusta, org. 1869

G Company, Jameson Guards, Bangor, org. 1870

H Company, Belfast City Guards, Belfast, org. 1871

I Company, Crosby Guards, Hampden, org. 1871

K Company, Hersey Light Infantry, Old Town accepted 1865

There were no changes until 1880.

The Militia Laws were revised in 1880, and the Militia completely reorganized. The 1st Infantry Maine Volunteer Militia was reorganized on 16 June 1880, and continued as below shown with the changes noted, until 1893

A Company, Portland Light Infantry, org. 1803

B Company, Portland Mechanic Blues, org. 1807

C Company, Auburn Light Infantry, org. 1856

D Company, Norway Light Infantry, org. 1810

E Company, Montgomery Guards, org. 1872

F Company, Capital Guards, Augusta, org. 1869

G Company, Biddeford Light Infantry, org. 1873

H Company, Richards Light Infantry, Gardiner, to 1887,

Then Tillson Light Infantry, Rockland, 1888 to 1908

In 1893, the 1st Infantry was designated National Guard, and the gun companies (formerly artillery) were transferred to infantry arm as Companies I and K. In 1894, the L Company was added and in 1897 M Company, making a full regiment of 12 companies in the Spanish-American War.

THE 1ST INFANTRY PERIOD 1893 to 1902, MAINE NATIONAL GUARD

A Company, Portland Light Infantry, org. 1803

B Company, Portland Mechanic Blues, org. 1807

C Company, Auburn Light Infantry, org. 1856

D Company, Norway Light Infantry, org. 1810

E Company, Montgomery Guards, Portland, org. 1872

F Company, Capital Guards, Augusta, org. 1869

G Company, Biddeford Light Infantry, org. 1873

H Company, Tillson Light Infantry, Rockland, org. 1888

I Company, Androscoggin Light Artillery, org. 1872

(added to regt. 1893)

K Company, Brunswick, org. 1884 (added to regt. 1893)

L Company, Sheridan Rifles, Portland, org. 1889

M Company, Westbrook, org. 1897

In the Spanish-American War the regiment was concentrated at Augusta on 2 May and mustered into Federal Service between May 5 and 14thy 1898. It was sent to Chickamaunga Park, Georgia, for training in May 1898. By 13 August 1898, the regiment had 141 sick with typhoid fever. On 4 August 1896 it was planned to send the regiment to Puerto Rico, but on account of sickness, it was ordered back to Maine in Hospital trains, to recuperate. Two officers and 41 men died of sickness. The regiment being no longer needed was mustered out in November 1898 at home stations.

In the period 1903 to 1908 inclusive, the regiment's strength was

Changed, on 12 December, 1907, F Company was moved from Augusta to Sanford, and H Company from Rockland to Lewiston.

The regimental organization was then as follows:

1st Battalion

D Company, Norway, org. 1810

F Company, Sanford, org. 1903

G Company, Biddeford, org. 1873

M Company, Westbrook, org. 1897

2nd Battalion

A Company, Portland Light Infantry, Portland, org. 1803

B Company, Portland Mechanics Blues, Portland, org. 1807

E Company, Montgomery Rifles, Portland, org. 1872

I Company, Sheridan Rifles, Portland, org. 1889

3rd Battalion

C Company, Auburn, org. 1856

H Company, Lewiston, org. 1886, "Frye Light Guards."

I Company, Lewiston, Androscoggin Light Artillery, org. 1872

K Company, Brunswick, org. 1884

In the period 1909 to 1917, after the transfer from the Infantry arm to the Coast Artillery arm on 1 January 1910, there were no changes in the regiment, except that the 13th Company, Kennebunk was added, org 1915. The Letter designations of the various companies were changed to numbers:

Band, Portland, org. 1884

1st Company (old A), Portland, (Portland Light Infantry, org. 1803)

2nd Company (old B), Portland, (Portland Mechanic Blues, org. 1807)

3rd Company (old C), Auburn, (Auburn Light Infantry, org. 1856)

4th Company (old D), Bathy, (Bath Light Infantry, org. 1883)

5th Company (61d E), Portland, (Montgomery Guards, org. 1872)

6th Company (old F), Sanford, (org. 1903)

7th Company (old G), Biddeford, (Biddeford Light Infantry, org. 1873)

8th Company (old H), Lewiston, (Frye Light Guards)

9th Company (old I), Lewiston, (Androscoggin Light Artillery org. 1872)

10th Company (old K), Brunswick, (org. 1884)

11th Company (old L), Portland, (Sheridan Rifles, org. 1889)

12th Company (old M), Westbrook, (org. 1897)

13th Company (Kennebunk, org. 1915)

WORLD WAR I -- 1917 TO 1919

The Coast Artillery Corps a Maine National Guard were mobilized on 25 July, 1917, and all companies, band, field officers, and non-commissioner staff officers reported on 27 July. 14 staff officers reported at Portland Coast Defenses and were assigned to duty in the Coast Defenses. The several companies were re-designated at once. This designation was changed again on 23 August 1917, and on 25 December 1917, nine of the thirteen C.A.C. Maine National Guard companies were made a part of the 54th Artillery, C.A.C., the supply company and Batteries B, D, E, and F, of the new 54th Artillery, C.A.C. 6 inch guns (Motor drawn), were entirely constituted from the nine companies Maine National Guard.

The 54th Artillery, C.A.C., was organized with a Headquarters Company, a supply company, and three battalions of two batteries each. Of the 6 batteries, four were taken from the Maine National Guard and from 25 December 1917, the further World War history of the C.A.C. Maine National Guard is properly that of the 54th Artillery since over 62 percent of its units were entirely Maine National Guard. In addition, only 30 percent of the units of the Maine National Guard were not included in the organization of the 54th Artillery C.A.C.

The 54th Artillery, CAC, (6-Inch Guns, Motor)

This regiment was organized in Portland Harbor Forts on 25 December 1917, five of its units being formed from National Guard units and three from Regular Army units.

The batteries of the 54th Artillery were organized as follows:

Headquarters Company, from Batteries A and C from the Regular Army.

Supply Company, from 20th Company, Lewiston.

Battery B, from 4th Company, Portland, and 7th Company, Biddeford.

Battery D, from 2nd Company, Portland, and 4th Company, Bath.

Battery E, from 3rd Company, Auburn, and 3rd Company, Kennebunk.

Battery F, from 9th Company, Lewiston and 11th Company, Portland.

Headquarters Company, Batteries C, D, E, and F, sailed from Portland, Maine, on the "Canada", 22 March 1918 and arrived Glasgow 2 April, Wincheste 3 April, and LeHarve, France, 6 April 1918.

The Supply Company left Portland 14 March, sailed from Hoboken 16 March, 1918 on "Baltic" arrived LeHarve, France, 6 April 1918.

The 54th Artillery C.A.C. was sent to rest camp at Mailly-le-camp (Aube) and on 2 May 1918, transferred to Haussimont (Marne), as replacement regimen to Railway Artillery Reserve and Tractor Artillery Regiments. On 20 September 1918, the 54th Artillery was reorganized into three battalion stations as follows:

1st Battalion, Training Battalion (A and B Battery) Angers (Marne-et-Loire).

2nd Battalion, Tractor replacement(E and F Battery), Haussimont (Marne) Angers (Marne-et-Loire.)

3rd Battalion, Unknown.

After the Armistice the 54th Artillery was assigned to Brest, and sailed 23 February 1919 on the "Vedic" arriving in Boston 7 March 1919. It was completely demobilized at Camp Devons by 13 March 1919.

The four companies (1st, 6th, 10th and 12th) that were not formed into the 54th Artillery, C.A.C. were demobilized in January 1919 at Harbor Defenses of Portland however, but few of the original members of the companies remained in them late in 1918. Two large transfers of enlisted men from these batteries were made. The first was made on 23 August 1917, to the 26th Division Artillery and Engineers. One hundred-sixty-nine men were taken from these four companies in the transfer. On May 31 1918, the other large transfer was made to the 72d Artillery, C.A.C. From the 1st Company, 147 men were taken, and from the other three companies large numbers. However, the transfers were made as individuals no units being reformed or discontinued.

In July 1922, the regiment was reorganized and designated as the First Coast Defense Command, C.A.C., Maine National Guard. The regiment was formed into Headquarters, Headquarters Detachment, Band, Medical Detachment and 1st Fort Command.

1st Fort Command

301st Company, Portland, org. 1803 - later Btry A

306th Company, Sanford, org. 1903 - later Btry B

307th Company, Brunswick, org. 1884 - later Btry C

311th Company, Portland, org. 1807 - later Btry D

2nd Fort Command

303d Company, Camden, org. 1920 - later Btry E

304th Company, Thomaston, org. 1921 - later Btry F

305th Company, Rockland, org. 1921 - later Btry G

302d Company, Vinalhaven, org. 1921 - later Btry H

On 17 September 1923, the 1st C.D.C. was re-designated as the 240th Artillery, C.A.C., and individual batteries as shown above. The designation was again changed to 240th Coast Artillery, Harbor Defense, on 16 April 1924.

On 19 May 1925, Btry H, Vinalhaven, was disbanded, and on 25 June 1925, the old 4th Company, C.A.C. MeNG was reorganized in Bath, with a nucleus of former members, and designated as Btry H, 240th Coast Artillery, Harbor Defense.

On 20 January 1931, Battery E of Camden was disbanded and the old 13th Company of Kennebunk was reorganized and designated as Battery C, 240th Coast Artillery, Harbor Defense. On 27 October, 1930, a battery was formed in South Portland, recognized and designated Battery 1, 240th CA, AA Searchlight, completing the reorganization of the regiment.

The 240th CA, HD, as in 1935, was composed of three Battalions, 1st Battalion assigned to Batteries Foote and Bowdoin at Fort Leavitt. Second Battalion, assigned to 155mm GPF's tractor drawn guns. Third Battalion was assigned to Antiaircraft Searchlight, 75mm AA Guns, and AA Machine Guns. Headquarters Battery, Medical Department Detachment and Band.

On September 16, 1940, the regiment was inducted into Federal Service at Portland, Maine, and at that time the organization was as follows:

Headquarters, Portland org. 1854, Col. George E. Fogg

Headquarters Battery, Portland org. 1923, Capt. John R. Jordan

Band, Portland org. 1884, WO Arthur H. Stevens

1st Battalion Headquarters, Portland org. 1922, Lt. Col. Paul S. Emery

Headquarters Btry 1st Bn, Portland org. 1940, 1st Lt. Burton Smart, Jr.

Battery A, Portland org. 1803, Capt. True B. Eveleth

Battery B, Portland org. 1807, Capt. Philip J. Ward, Jr.

Battery C, Portland org. 1940, Capt. Hebert T. Emery

2nd Bn, Headquarters, Rockland org. 1923, Major Frank H. Spence

Headquarters Btry, 2nd Bn, Rockland, org. 1940, 1st Lt. Warren F. Feyler

Battery D, Bath org. 1883, Capt Joseph A. Butler

Battery E, Rockland org. 1921, Capt Chaeles G. Hewett

Battery F, Thomaston org. 1921, Capt William R. Hoffese

3d Bn, Headquarters, Portland org. 1930, Lt. Col. Alonzo B. Holmes

Hq Btry, 3d Bn, Portland org. 1940, 2nd Lt. Gilbert W. Stanford

Battery G, Brunswick org. 1884, Capt. Percy E. Graves

Battery H, Sanford org. 1903, Capt. Moore Greenwood

Battery I, Saco org. 1936, Capt. Bejamine F. Ridlon

Battery K, South Portland org. 1930, Capt. Laurence G. Barton

Upon induction the various units of the regiment stayed at their home armories for one week of processing. On 23 September 1940, the regiment moved into the Harbor Defenses of Portland, units being assigned as follows:

Regimental Headquarters and Headquarters Battery - Fort McKinley

Band - Fort McKinley

1st Battalion (less Battery A) - Fort Williams

Battery A - Fort Leavitt

2nd Battalion - Fort McKinley

3rd Battalion (less Batteries G and H) - Fort Williams

Battery G - Fort Preble

Battery H - Fort McKinley

As soon as the regiment was settled in its new home, it began a program of training and also instituted an extensive campaign to recruit personnel. Later in the year, the regiment received an assignment of selectees to bring the units up to full strengths These recruits were the first of the new draft that had begun with registration in October,1940.

Assignments to the various artillery installations in the Harbor Defenses were made upon the arrival of the regiment. These original assignments were changed as the needs seemed to dictate, and by the end of the summer of 1941, they were as follows:

Battery A to Battery Foot - 12" BC Fort Leavitt

Battery B to Battery Bowdoin - 12" DC Fort Leavitt

Battery C to Battery Fuergson - 6" BC Fort Leavitt

Battery D to Battery Berry - 12" BC Fort McKinley

Battery E to 3" AAA Guns - Fort Lyons

Battery F to 155mm GPF Tractor Drawn - Fort Williams

Battery G to 3" Antiaircraft Guns - Fort Leavitt

Battery H to Battery Keyes - 3" BC Fort Williams

Battery I to Battery Blair - 12" DC Fort Williams

Battery K to AA Searchlights - Fort Williams

Early in the fall 5 both Battery I and Battery L, were designated as alert security mobile units in addition to their Harbor Defense Artillery assignments. Soon after the declaration of World War II, both batteries B and F were relieved from their defense assignments within the harbor. Battery B was equipped with 155 mm GPF (TD), and they were given the following new assignments:

Battery B was sent to Stockton Springs to guard the entrance to the Penobscot River. This was changed about six months later and they moved to Bailey's Island to extend the Eastern limits of the Harbor Defenses of Portland.

Battery F was sent to Biddeford pool to extend the Southern limits of the Harbor Defenses of Portland.

With the beginning of World War II, many changes occurred other than those mentioned above.

The first was the establishment of a Harbor Defense Control Post at Fort Williams to control the entrance and departure of shipping in Portland Harbor. This was a joint Army and Navy project. Another project was the beginning of the construction of a new defense on Peaks Island. This new defense included the building of a new 16" Seacoast installation named Battery Cravens, and several 3" Seacoast guns. Battery Steele was not completed before the end of the war, it was proof fired, but never manned. The other batteries at Peaks Island were in operation after completion throughout the balance of the duration of the war.

Soon after the ending of the War the Department of Defense decided that Seacoast Artillery was an outdated combat arm in this modern atomic age and so the Coast Artillery branch was discontinued and the personnel integrated with the Field Artillery Branch to form a single branch, Artillery.

Today this once powerful Harbor Defense is only a memory. Begun in 1808, with the construction of Forts Preble and Scammell, it was enlarged until at the time of its discontinuance its submission from the sea by, attacking naval force would have been impossible.

Returning to the chronological story of the Groups the beginning of the war was also the beginning of many changes that would have considerable effect on the personnel of the command. During the first year or Active duty there had not been many changes in the personnel of the regiment, but the Declaration of War on 8 December 1941 marked the beginning of continual requisitions on the regiment for personnel. This resulted in very few of the original members inducted being with the unit at the time of its deactivation. In fact, three days after the beginning of the war the first group left the Harbor.

The next two years the regiment continued its assignment in the Harbor. Some units were moved to Peaks Island as soon as the batteries were in and operational, but other than this there was very little movement of the units from one defense position to another. The days went by with the usual training, maintenance, and alerts.

In April 1944, the Band was shipped to Camp Shelby, Hattisburg, Missouri. Soon after its arrival, it was re-designated the 85th Army Ground Forces Band. This was the beginning of the end insofar as the 240th Coast Artillery Regiment (Harbor Defense) was concerned. On 7 October 1944, the Regiment was broken up. Disposition of its various remaining parts was as follows:

1. 1st Battalion, together with Regimental Headquarters and Headquarters Battery a reorganized and re-designated as the 185th Coast Artillery Battalion. Regimental Headquarters and Headquarters Battery were re-designated Battery E in the Battalion. (Note: 185th Battalion, less Battery E, re-designated the 314th AAA Automatic Weapons Battalion, 1 July 1946.)

2. 2nd Battalion re-designated 186th Coast Artillery Battalion. (Note: 186th Battalion re-designated 703d AAA Gun Battalion 6 February, 1947.)

3. Elements of the 3rd Battalion concurrently disbanded. (The band had already been re-designated 1 April 1945)

Battery E, 185th Coast Artillery Battalion re-designated Battery E, Harbor Defense of Portland. Battery E, Harbor Defense of Portland, re-designated Battery E, 185th Coast Artillery (Harbor Defense) and deactivated 30 June 1946, at Peaks Island Maine.

Battery E, 185th Coast Artillery (Harbor Defense), re designated Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 219th Antiaircraft Artillery Group, 1 July 1946. Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 119th Antiaircraft Artillery Group re-designated Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 240th Antiaircraft Artillery Group 1 July 1946, and Federally recognized 6 February 1947 at South Portland.

The Commanders of the Unit from 1854 to 1957 have been as follows?

Col. Samuel T. Anderson 1854 to 1856

Col. William P. Stoddard 1856 to 1860

Lt. Col. L. D. Sweet 1860 to 1861

Col. N. J. Jackson 1861 to (1st Me. Vol.)

Col. George L. Beal 1861 to 1864

Col. George H. Nye 1864 to 1866

Regiment Inactive 1866 to 1873

Col. Charles P. Mattocks 1873 to 1880

Col. George M. Brown 1880 to 1883

Col. Locus H. Kendall 1889 to 1907

Col. Charles Collins 1907 to 1912

Col. Frank B. Welch 1912

Col. William O. Peterson 1912 to 1917

World War I Service 1917 to 1920

Col. William P. Norton 1920 to 1921

Col. George E. Fog 1921 to 1942

World War II Service 1942 to 1945

Col. Edward D. Graham 1947 to 1948

Lt. Col. Edwin W. Heywood 1948 to 1951

Col. Harold M. Lawrence 1951 to date (1957)

As of this date, 6 June 1957, the 240th Antiaircraft Artillery Group is stationed at the Milk Street Armory, Portland, Maine. Its mission is the supervision of training and administration of its attached units during Armory and Field Training and their preparation for Memorial Day missions.

The present (as of 1957) organization of the Group is:

240th AAA Group Portland Lt. Col. Roger L. Averill

314th AAA (75mm Gun):

Battalion Headquarters Bangor Lt. Col Roger L. Averill

Headquarters Battery Bangor Lt. Col Roger L. Averill

Battery A Brewer 1st Lt. Vernon E. Downs

Battery C Belfast 2nd Lt. Averill L. Black

Battery D Millinocket Capt. Carleton McLean

703d AAA Gun Battalion:

Battalion HQ South Portland Maj. Ralph D. Brooks Jr.

Headquarters Battery South Portland Maj. Ralph D. Brooks Jr.

Battery A South Portland Capt. Waits tell C. Doughty

Battery B Bath 1st. Lt. Francis E. MacDonald

Battery C Brunswick 1st Lt. George Dwyer

Battery D Rockland Capt. Winfield L. Chats

143rd Operations Detachment Portland Maj. Leroy S. Spheres

207th RCAT Detachment Bangor 2nd lt. Raymond Glaser

181st SMRU Augusta CWO2 Roland G. Waiter

195th Army Band Bangor COW Nathan J. Diamond


If you have research comments or additional information on this page e-mail them to: Joe Hartwell

This page was last updated on 6/16/07

[ Return to the Site Map ] [ Return to the Coast Artillery History Page ] [ Return to the 54th Artillery Page ]