Search billions of records on

The 1st Battalion, 57th Artillery C.A.C.

The Story

1st Lt. Charles J. Foley, Medical Corps, U.S. Army

On the evening of May the 8th, 1918, the steamer GRAND REPUBLIC floated lazily up to the docks at Sandy Hook, silently placing her hulk before the setting sun like a specter ship and thereby confirmed rumors after rumor that the 57th was ordered to France.

The Natal date of the 57th Regiment of the Coast Artillery Corps was January 11th, 1918. It was organized at Fort Hancock, New Jersey, the First Battalion being composed of Regulars from the Coast Defenses of Sandy Hook, National Guardsmen from The Ninth New York Coast Defense Command and National Army men from Rochester, New York. It was officered almost entirely by National Guard and Reserve officers.

On the evening of the 8th of May everything was ready. Wives and sweethearts left the post after smiling farewells, almost successfully camouflaging weeping hearts, to return to their homes and fight the bitterest half of the war. Long before the break of the following day the Regiment marched out across the parade grounds and boarded the boat through an aisle of well wishing friends. The departure was not exactly superstitious but in contradistinction to days of chivalry very little commotion place, owing to the omnipresent German espionage operatives in this country. At the foot of 46th Street, New York we transferred to the USS Rijndam, one of the commandeered vessels of the Holland America Line, and awaited a few final repairs to that transport.

At 6:00 p.m., on May 10th, during a thunderstorm, we weighed anchor and steamed out of New York Harbor to join the other ships of our convoy.

On May 10, 1918 a large convoy of 13 ships was sailing and the other ships that sailed with the USS Rijndam and the 57th Artillery were: Antigone, Kursk, Duca d' Aosta, Pastores, President Lincoln, Caserta, Lenape, Wilhelmina, Covington, Devinsk, Rijndam, and the Dante Alighieri.

On board the USS Rijndam with the 57th Artillery was the following:

11th Machine Gun Battalion, 4th Division
22 Officers
681 Enlisted men
57th Artillery, CAC
60 Officers
1,765 Enlisted men
2 Officers
274 Enlisted men
Automatic Replacement draft :
(Inf. 34, Field Arty. 13, Engr. 51, Quarter, 199, Cav. 2, Sig. 4, CAC 1)
304 Enlisted men
Casuals: (Engr. 1, Field Arty. 1, Inf. 2)
4 Officers

The course laid out was the southern route to France and we awoke the next day to find ourselves gliding through the blue waters of the Gulf Stream, surrounded by our sister ships. The time during the passage was consumed in policing the ship, inspections; abandon ship drill and this gamut repeated. In order to diversify this program and render it more amusing to everybody we sometimes held the abandoned ship drill first, followed later by inspections and policing the ship. Abandon ship drill proved to be so particularly mirthful that everyone on board would roll out of his bunk at 2:00 in the morning to participate in the frolic. The entire voyage was uneventful and although we zigzagged all over the Atlantic Ocean we were unable to find a submarine. The escort of a dozen American destroyers during the last two days of our trip ruins our chances of even seen one.

Just about the time we began to think that we were lost and had been zigzagging around looking for the European Coast, someone sighted land and the entire convoy did a "Right by file" and slowly steamed between the flower covered hills of Brittany which Guard the narrow neck of water leading into the Harbor of Brest. It was indeed gratifying to stand on deck and gaze at the walled town of Caesar and it the Gothic spires in the distance and it then it to look back at the broad expanse of ocean and firmly convince yourself that the impression which most people hold regarding the theory that only three-fourths of the earths surface is covered by water is a geographical error and only a date thrown out by steamship lines to entice the voyager and swell the passenger lists.

On May 25th we disembarked and were lured into the rest camp at Pontanazen Barracks but to find that both appellations were misnomers. There were no barracks and there was no rest for us. Having spent two days in this location we were ordered to leave one night after the Regiment had tried to encompass all the wines in the environs of Brest and had engaged in a friendly skirmish with some neighboring infantry troops, which won for our outfit that day forth the name, "The Fighting 57th."

Like thieves we always moved at night. In the darkness we groped our way to a French train and piled into our "40 hommes or 8 chevaux." When one is three or four thousand miles from home he is liable to become lonesome. In order to overcome this unpleasantness, about 50 or 60 men were neatly arranged in a car intended for 8 horses. Those desiring to be especially clubby were permitted to double up so that there were approximately 75 in each car. The whistle tweeted and we were off with the rapidity of a snail with rheumatism. The whistle on a French railway engine sounds like the exhaust on a 44th Street peanut roaster.

Four days travel brought us to Libourne in the sunny Bordeaux district, and the First Battalion was assigned it to the village of St. Denis de Piles for billeting and intensive training. Here at each Battery received four 155 mm "Grande Porte Filloux" guns and two machine guns for protection against enemy planes. Holt Tractors were used to draw up the guns and trucks for ammunition and supplies. The training consisted of gun drills, maneuvering of the piece, nightly calls to arms, etc. Many can of the men were selected to go to the various schools, such as the gas, telephone, orienteur, and tractor schools. There were many unhappy hours of gas mask drill in the broiling sun. About half of the officers were sent to the Heavy Artillery School or to Gas School, while those remaining were given daily instruction in artillery fire. On the whole the little town of St. Denis de Piles holds forth pleasant memories to all of us. The town is beautifully situated in the Gironde wine region and the inhabitants treated us with the warmest of French cordiality.

Our stop at St. Denis was all too brief, for we were ordered to the School of Fire At Camp de Sourge on August 5th. As there was a congestion of artillery outfits at Camp De Sourge, we were housed in a pine woods and our first engagement came when we turned out to fight a forest fire which was moving in our direction. Fires were so frequent in the woods that we wondered whether each days fire would be a matinee or an evening performance. During the sweltering days of late August and early September our time was occupied with target practice. Here it was that the Battalion first won praise for rapidity and accuracy of fire.

Rumors are the spice of Army life. It was now rumored that there was to be an all-American offensive in September. It was rumored that the 57th was to be rushed up at the last hour to take part. The rumors proved to have been well authenticated. Again we packed up and again we moved. Once more we were crammed into a troop train, and by slow, steady traveling arrived at the town of Void in the St. Mihiel region. The overwhelming offensive on this salient began on September 12th. The First Battalion went into position on the 13th, but was held as Reserve Artillery and we did not get an opportunity to open up, as the German retreat, probably premeditated, was rapid. It has been said that the English entered the war to obtain supremacy of the seas, the French to win back Alsace-Lorraine and the Americans for the souvenirs. There is decidedly no doubt that we gathered up more than our just and equitable share of the souvenirs from the battlefield at this place only to lose of or discard them when we became "Veterans" a few weeks later.

At Vignot we were initiated to the discomforts of a German air raid and from this time on until the Armistice was signed everyone learned to bless the dark, cloudy nights, which were free from these disturbing visitors. The first moonlight night at Vignot brought a few bombing planes across our lines and we could easily recognize the enemy by the dreary, blood-curdling of the engine, rising and falling in the strength of the sounds, with definite rhythmic cycles like the buzzing of a gigantic bee in the distance. Presently the machine guns of the French began to pop, thereby dispelling any doubt one may have had as to the friendliness or hostility of the aircraft. Nearer and nearer they came. The inhabitants of the town came out of their dwellings. Some ran for the caves, or bombproof shelters, and others stood on the streets and watched the searchlights play about the sky. A tremendous explosion was heard in Commercy, a kilometer distance, and then another. The French civilians remarked without concern and almost sneeringly, "Small bombs," another "Small one" nearly destroyed our kitchen and the surrounding wheat field. This and did the party and we retired feeling that we had been fully introduced to air raids.

The excitement on the St. Mihiel sector died down to a calm. Orders came to get into road position. Information like this always started the wildest of rumors, but when you eliminated the element of conjecture you only knew that you were going somewhere. Our convoy, consisting of guns, tractors, trucks, automobiles, and sidecars, started at night and headed along the road leading north of Verdun. It was raining. When ever we received orders to form into road position it rained, and it kept on reining until after we had reached our destination and were uncomfortably sheltered. Our first stop was four days later in the Bois de Nixeville. We past the night here. It would not be correct to say that we slept here. We merely passed the night in these woods, some stretched out in trucks and upon the seats of automobiles, and others in horse stables and temporary barracks.

A reconnaissance party on the following day surveyed the terrain in the region of Miontzeville with a view to establishing positions for the guns. It was found that the valley, which pockets the town, was already bristling with Artillery pieces of all calibers. The German lines were only two kilometers away, which necessitated careful camouflaging all the guns brought into this jeopardizing position. All activity about the gun positions must be done at night and without the aid of lights. We moved in also. Both batteries toiled it against the chief obstacle, the mud, in planting the heavy pieces behind the brow of a small hill in front of the devastated town. The men were to without sleeping and with only scanty shelter for three days and nights. Owing to the congestion of traffic, food could be brought up only with the greatest of inconvenience, and consequently was scarce. All night long the rumble of Tractors told of more Artillery coming into the already crowded area. Even after we thought there were enough guns in position to annihilate the entire German army, still more Artillery came. Ammunition was carried into piles beside the guns and covered with camouflage material. All this went on steadily but not a gun was fired. One evening a single shot was sent from a Battery of French 75's as though it its patience could endure no longer. Within 30 seconds and return salute of 15 projectiles came whining over from the German lines in almost perfect direction, but a trifle over the ambitious Battery, and exploded, scattering fragments of stone from the ruined buildings of the town and drove every one to cover. It seemed as though "Jerry" was prepared for us.

We were anxious for the party to begin. When everything is cocked and primed and one fears that the enemy may strike first and seize the stage and all the setting, suspense is awful.

Under a clear, starry sky on the night of September 25th, 1918 it happened. We curled up in our dugouts for a few hours' sleep, after having received the official information that "Zero hour" would be 11:30. All watches had been synchronized. At precisely half past eleven a big naval gun behind us started it. One deep throated roar vibrated throughout the valley. A few seconds later everything let loose at once. The sky was lighted with the flashes. One continuous succession of explosions shook the earth and rock to the concrete dugouts in their solid foundations. The smell of powder filled the air, causing some to fear that the Germans had sent a gas clouds over. Until daybreak those hammers of hell kept up their infernal pounding, demonstrating to the enemy the most wonderful pyrotechnical display they had ever seen, and announcing to the world the presence of the greatest concentration of artillery yet assembled. All night the heavy engines of destruction belched flame and spoke loud, patrolling tons of steel against the Hindenburg line.

As the sun began to light up the valley, the Infantry went over. They went over yelling to the Germans to "Fallout," but there were very few to be found in the first 5 miles of advance. They had fallen back to their second line of defense. The ground over the entire area was badly torn up. The height at Montfaucon was riddled. The heavy masonry in the Crown Prince's observing posts on its summits from which he had witnessed the Battle of Verdun in 1916 was almost demolished. Barbed wire entanglements had been successfully chewed up by the barrage, and in general, the terrific artillery preparation had been eminently successful in demoralizing the stubborn troops who had held their trenches for four years.

One by one the guns ceased firing and about noon on the 27th only a few were in action. Observation balloons floated in the air behind us. German planes were soon skimming towards them, and after successfully dodging the air barrage, swooped down and fired incendiary bullets into four of them. They burnt completely, but the observers reach the ground in parachutes. One of them was found to be dead. His descent was perfect but a bullet had penetrated his brain. The Boches troubled us but little at this position. We were shelled occasionally, but for only a short time at any one shelling as though they wish to reminded us that they were still within range.

As the line was now some distance from us, we were ordered to move up. We started, and after working our way through the congested roads, we were able to accomplish the distance of about 3 miles during the entire night. We went into positions again on a hill near the village of Esnes, which town was so badly ruined and that there was scarcely shelter left for a squad of men. Prisoners and wounded came back, and Ammunition and supplies went forward and consequently the roads were blocked for hours at a time. 400 ambulances and trucks bearing wounded spent a whole night in going two miles. The mud became deeper and deeper. Engineers worked like slaves repairing the shelled roadways with broken stone from the wrecked buildings. The Infantry continued their advance. We fired at a few targets from these positions and on October 3rd, after another tedious journey through Malancourt, under enfilading fire from the enemy, on the other side of the river Meuse, we unlimbered our 155's on a hillside to the left and overlooking the talent of Cuisy.

Behind us lay a valley. We could often watch the shells breaking at the crossroads in the town and sometimes destroying trucks, but seldom stopping the steady stream of trucks as they slowly moved forward. We after word found German maps upon which was designated our exact position determined by flash ranging. Consequently we were shelled often and plentifully. As we were now beyond the region of prepared dugouts, many of the men and some of the officers had no other protection than their shelter tents. It rained almost every day. The Boche planes were very active during our stop at this place. Several times daily we were visited by them and watched as the air barrage drove them higher. They were successful in downing seven of our balloons in one day. Before we left the situation our Machine Gun operators bagged one scouting plane.

Targets were assigned to us rapidly and our guns were worked overtime. At one time a zero hour, which was to take place at half past eight in the morning, was announced and the targets assigned seven minutes before hand. As we were the only Battalion in the Brigade to have a "Shot on the way" at the appointed time the fact came to the notice of the Brigade Commander, and we were designated as a pursuit Battalion and attached to the 89th Division.

Orders came to move us to the Bois de Valoup near Romagne to take part in the second phase of the Argonne-Meuse offensive, which took place on November 1st, 1918. Our positions here were in the woods just back from the road with the town of Gesnes behind us. While reconnoitering the site a shell came bristling over, struck a branch of a tree and flying fragments decapitated a French officer and mortally wounded another. This did not promise to be the safest place in the world for us but luckily we did not lose a man in the Bois de Valoup, although units in close proximity all around us were shelled mercilessly. We were housed in flimsy wooden shacks, which had formerly been occupied by German troops, and which afforded us low or no protection from shelling or bombing.

We often had the thrilling experience of having the one-fifties burst around us. Sometimes there would be a few "Overs" and an equal number of "Shorts" and while we waited, reasonably certain that the next one would get us, the enemy would be kind enough to ceased firing.

It was in these woods that we first made the acquaintance of the "Richtofen Circus". We were warned that of their approach one moonlight night by telephone. Lights were extinguished and as we sat in darkness we could hear the horrible rumble of the red-nosed bombing planes. In the distance we could hear terrifying explosions and then more of them coming nearer. As they passed overhead we held our breath, expecting the next bomb to blow us to eternity. One dropped in the area of regimental headquarters, and the next one was heard behind this in the town of Gesnes. In the morning a bomb, which had failed to explode, was discovered buried in the mud beside one of the guns. We considered ourselves unusually fortunate while in these woods, but what really contributed most to our safety was perhaps careful Camouflage work about our guns and by the system of signals to, warning the batteries of the presence of German planes, enabling them to take cover, thereby preventing observation from the air.

While at Bois de Valoup the Boche is seemed to have a penchant for disturbing our sleep by nightly gas shelling. During the attacks they would first sent over sneezing gas, rendering the gas masks on comfortable and almost impractical, and then follow-up with phosgene gas. About the time we were rested up from one such ordeal another gas signal would sound.

The men acquired the "Salvage" habit. As there was an abundance of everything strewn about the woods, the salvaging was very good. Clothing, helmets, shell cases, telephone instruments etc., began to accumulate. One man in Battery B "Salvaged" a horse, which had been deserted by the retreating Germans. The animal was in a sadly debilitated condition when he became our "Cavalry Detachment," but as he was not averse to the diets of canned Argentine beef (finally referred to by all soldiers as monkey meat), he was soon able to be marked "Duty" on the sick report and earned his rations from that time until hostilities ceased.

The effect of the November 1st offensive was to drive the Germans out of their last line of defense and a rapid retreat ensued in the direction of Mezieres. Once more we convoyed over the muddy roads by slow stages and under shell fire, constantly menaced by the planes overhead and gradually picking our way to advanced positions near the river Meuse, where the enemy was crossing at Stenay. All along the way were strewn bodies of American boys, Americas sacrifice and the price of the advance. German soldiers lying face down in the mud, horses, ripped to pieces by shell fire, artillery still in position, and ammunition everywhere, told the story of Germany's attempt at resistance. The American line pushed on. The enemy made a final stand on the right bank of the river. The engineers rushed pontoons into the woods, concealing them there near the stream. Fresh divisions moved forward. Everything pointed to a drive across the Meuse River. Battery B planted their guns in the Foret de Dieutel and alone occupied the most advanced point reached by the Artillery. While we waited further preparations for a renewed attack the enemy guns were turned upon us from the hills beyond the river and we were subjected to the most grueling shell fire. In Beaufort, where our post of command was located, there were two corners which Fritz great delight in shelling alternately. At one time about 75 men were gathered in a large building near one of these corners. A screeching projectile came through the roof and mangled several, another closely following, landed just at the doorway and exploded. While men were hastily carrying out the wounded a few more 105's burst among them. The total dead and wounded resulting from the affair was about 35.

Telephone lines had not been established. Messages from Brigade headquarters had to be sent to us by radio. The order came directing interdiction fire upon the Montmedy-Sedan railway. Firing data was rapidly calculated and presently the four guns in the Foret de Dieutel were responding ferociously. 164 projectiles were hurled upon the railroad in the vicinity of Margot. Supplies were cut off from the German troops. They were obliged to bring up food by airplane transportation. They hurriedly blew up the bridges at Stenay with the vain hope of checking the American push. Battery A at Nouart was being fired upon by a gun which seemed to be located within the American lines. A diligent search revealed a cannon concealed in a tunnel constructed in the site of a hill and guarded by steel doors. The weapon could be rolled out of its hiding place, fired, and recoiled into the recess. The Germans had continued to operate the gun long after the khaki clad line had passed them. The crew was taken prisoners, declaring that they did not know that their comrades had fled. Promptly after the demolition of the railroad, the main line it of the German retreat, peace envoys hurried across the lines to negotiate terms for Armistice. When the result of the conference was announced on November 11th everyone seemed skeptic about its authenticity. No great amount of elation was demonstrated. To troops accustomed to forge ahead amid shell fire, the proper thing seemed to be to forge ahead. The thundering silence of the first night of peace made it difficult to sleep and in the calmness of it all everyone discovered that he was now infested with cooties - the scourge of war. It was a familiar sight to see a man with his hand inside his blouse in the Napoleonic pose, scratching industriously.

The civilian inhabitants of Beaufort who had been sent behind the German lines before the drive were now returning to their half destroyed homes. One old man hurried to his abode, descended to the seller, rolled a huge stone from its resting place on the earth the floor and from the hole underneath withdrew a sack containing 5,000 francs. Three or four of our stalwart Artillery men who had been quartered in the house during the old Frenchman's absence and who were watching his actions fainted and had to be carried out on litters.

In summing up, we found that the First Battalion had fired during the Argonne-Meuse operations, approximately 8,000 rounds or an equivalent of 400 tons of steel thrown against the German lines of defense. Ammunition was never wanting in the Battalion. At Cuisy we had such a store of it that it brought forth the acquisition that we had stolen all there was in the Brigade. All operations having ceased, we were assigned to Doulevant to prepare for our return home. Property affairs were settled and the regiment proceeded to the camp at Brest for Embarkation. It might be well to state that we knew of no other ports from which we would prefer to sail, but not desiring to disappoint the A.E.F. officials by selecting any other route, we accepted their invitation and submerged ourselves in the mud of camp Pontenazen.

The second day of January 1919, found us on board the USS Huntington, rolling and tossing, on our way to Hoboken. All together the trip home was uneventful and pleasant as we caught the first glimpse of the Statue of Liberty and heard the shouts from the Mayor's Committee of Welcome we decided that there is but one country on the face of this earth-The United States Of America.

Captain Gilbert H. Higgins, 1st Battalion Adjutant, 57th Artillery.

Gilbert Henry Higgins was born May 19, 1894 in Bayonne, New Jersey and died on April 5, 1973. Gilbert graduated from Columbia College, New York in the class of 1915. Before the War he worked for the New York City Department of Docks. Served with the 57th Artillery, C.A.C. in France as a 1st Lt. and on October 26, 1918 became the 1st Battalion Adjutant, 57th Artillery. He was discharged on January 29, 1919 at the rank of Captain. After the war he was employed by the R. Hoe & Co. New York for over 40 years as a printing press salesman until he retired in 1960. During WWII Mr. Higgins participated with the US Army Ordnance Department educational purchase orders to industry for anticipated war production needs. In 1946 he was awarded the Carnegie Medal for Heroism for rescuing a child from the frigid lake waters after he had fallen through the thin lake ice. He was a resident of New Jersey when he died. Mr. Higgins is buried in Greenwood Cemetery, Boonton, New Jersey.

Gilbert H. Higgins married Margaret Henderson on June 20, 1921 and had three sons, David IV, Gilbert Henry, Dudley and two daughters, Alma and Catherine. All three sons served in the Army like their father. On March 28, 1945 2nd Lt. Gilbert Henry Higgins, Jr. was killed in action while serving with the 80th Tank Bn, 8th Armored Division near Zweckel, Germany. Dudley Higgins was serving with the Army in the South Pacific during WWII. The oldest son, David Higgins IV graduated from USMA at West Point with the class of 1945. Captain David Higgins IV left active duty in 1956 and retired in 1984. This photo and information were provided by David Higgins IV, eldest son of Captain Gilbert H. Higgins.

1st Battalion Staff Officers

Captain Walter W. Burns, Adjuant until October 21, 1918, returned to the states as an instructor.
Captain Gilbert H. Higgins, Adjuant after October 26, 1918.
1st Lt. Harry M. Carder, Orienteur Officer. Promoted to Captain and Commanded Battery C November 12, 1918.
1st Lt. Charles J. Foley, Battalion Surgeon.
1st Lt. Granville W. Parkins, Mechanical Officer.
1st Lt. Pressly H. McCance, Telephone Officer. Promoted to 1st Lt. November 9, 1918.
2nd Lt. Britt E. Myrick, Supply Officer and Radio Officer.

Enlisted Men, Headquarters Section, 1st Battalion, 57th Artillery, C.A.C.

Sgt. Major, Sr. Grade, Edward J. Joy Cook Patrick Candy Edward Osterling
Sgt. Major, Jr. Grade, George Hire Edward C. Morch Wendell B. Chesbro Arthur M. Potters
Engineer, Parker E. Pusey Buglers Lloyd K. Clark Harry Thole
Ordnance Sgt. William H. Dolan Ronald J. Mayse Joseph J. Cocks Paul A. Schroeder
Radio Sgt. Arthur B. Gilbert Ralph F. Cook Max L. Meltzer
William V. Groome John L. Davis Walter D. Cowan Interpreter
Erwin W. Poos Privates, First Class John R. Dillon Pierre Stoffle
Sergeants William A. Alexander George W. Doody
Charles G. Frederick Ralph C. Bowers Paul F. Fahs
Bert Jaccobs Clyde W. Campbell Wallace E. folsom
Hugh McFarland Charles Y. Craven George M. Farrar
lauren A. Howe Harry H. Ells Paul W. Freese
Joseph A. Conner Theodore Ford Gordon M. Gibbs
J. Treacy Farley Grant J. Gates Max Gordon
Thomas D. Warburton George L. Harrison Sigurd J. Gullickson
Corporals William J. Jones Simon Harris
John E. Kleiber James L. Lawton John Healy
William F. Lyon Lewis Meinholdt Anthony J. Heitz
John A. Schwendau Russell E. Morris Johnnie L. Jackson
George V. Smith Nathaniel E. Nordquist Albert L. Jones
Joseph G. Terrio Raymond J O'Brien Frank J. Karel, Jr.
William Chuber Emil D. Opp Frank X. Kramers
Charles F. Rose Edward J. Stires Alfonso LaMastra
Marion G. Stewart Privates Bruce A. Lasher
Thomas H. Barrett Harry Alexander Leo E. Long
Mechanics William T. Anderson David W. Mayo
William J. Dennis William A. Bartels John T. McCaffrey
Francis Zubek Charles A. Berry Edward J. McGowan
Wagoner Elmer W. Born Willie T. Miller
Patrick R. Barrett Emory G. Burgess Roy E. Montbriand

Battery A, 57th Artillery, C.A.C. Officers

Major Robert N. Mackin, Jr., Battery Commander until October 7, 1918. Transferred to Command 2nd Battalion, promoted to Major November 2, 1918.
Captain Jefferson L. Newbern, joined the Battery at Bordeaux, August 24, 1918. Placed in Command October 18, 1918.
1st lt. Herbert Ridgway.
1st Lt. David S. Oakes, joined the Battery at Bordeaux, August 31, 1918.
1st Lt. A. Wells Peck.
2nd Lt. Allan B. Campfield, joined the Battery October 9, 1918.
2nd Lt. William J. Lynch.

Enlisted Men, Battery A, 57th Artillery, C.A.C.

First Sgt., John Waldron Marinus DeBree George Watson Frederick D. Schuelter Henry W. Boyll Aaron Liffick William Williamson Paul J. Stout
Supply Sgt., George F. Jarke Charles I. Wright Henry J. Hoffman Otto Schwartz Phillip L. Castonia Leo E. Long Frank J. Willis Martin Swanson
Mess Sergeant, Jim Soscia William F. Moore Buglers Arthur H. Slinn John Chaney Connie C. Mayfield Harry F. Wulfers Robert Whittaker
Sergeants James Swaney Arthur B. Gilbert Steve Tersen William Coffee John McMahon Nicolays Bazan John J. Williams
Luke Farrell James J. Geary Raz M. Leggett Irvin C. Ure Peter D. Compton Walter martin Francis W. Bergan Elliotte A. Williamson
Frank W. Hamilton Theodore R. Jacobson John L. Davis J. C. Whitman Irwin Cooper Einar J. Mattson Robert C. Blake, Jr.
August Peterson Virgil O. Keeney Privates, First Class Antoni Wichlinski Edward Coyne Salvatore Mazzeo Frank J. Blaskziewicz
Harry C. Halbert Alexander Sloss Noah Auman Vern L. Willis Andrew J. Dale George M. Meinhardt Ralph F. Blink
Lester V. Jones Verner E. Snyder Paul R. Brace Alexander G. Woodward Robert Davis Anthony A. Mick Frank Bozyck
Edward A. Casey Robert Wagner John C. Byam Wilfred G. Albert Achille DeLuca George M. Milne Marion W. Bray
William J. Sheppard Mechanics Patrick Candy Clark Dickerson Sebastino Diallura Herbert Morgan William S. Cramp
William A. I. Nason Charles R. Dutton Roy D. Clumpner George F. Doyle Abner Dougherty Frank J. S. Murphy Louis catania
Chester C. Whaley Fred H. Ganske Edward W. Digby Theodore Ford Richard Enderby Charles W. Murray Harrison M. Chamberlain
Michael J. Mullen Julius Kamprud Leo S. Dodds Charlie J. Fry Archie H. Ferrill Harry Norton Charles L. Chaisson
Ernest E. Lytle Michael J. Moore Frank D. Dolan Francis Guidera Norman J. Fladd Fred M. Olsen Albert Christian
Richard J. Mylott James Veach George Eberhardt Edward J. Hagie George L. Fox Rufus A. Orr Louis W. Clark
Henry E. Renshaw Cooks Charles Edwards Frank F. Lawler John C. Francis Gustaf Papp Patrick J. Clohessy
Harry Tomlinson Edward Bluemel Guy A. Estensen Augustus M. Miglin Oscar Fromble William A. Phayre Joseph J. Cox
Corporals Edward G. Carstensen Paul P. Fahs Howard L. Nicholas George P. Geib Elio Plante Grover C. Cook
John Phalon Thomas G. Klabecheck William T. Filby Ervin W. Poos Richard Geiger John V. Pringle Walter D. Cowan
James W. Lanning George W. Hornsby Earl C. Folker Bryan Stacup William L. Gillett Anthony A. Ratajczak, Jr. Edgar E. Ellis
George W. Crum Wagoners Wilmer D. Gray Louis S. Smith Matthew B. Grappenstater Roy Reger Paul Fowler
Alex Golmont Chester A. Baldwin Edward B. Haatvedt James E. Ward Amzie L. Green Joseph A. Rostanka John D. Green
George E. Drew Leo J. Busendorfer Ernest G. Halgren Charles W. Zahler William E. Gregg Joseph Savage Raymond Gerhard
Julius Kertman John F. Drexler Alfred A. Herbert Privates Edward B. Harvey Paul A. Schroeder Charles W. Halpin
Abraham Campigotto Charles H. Fey Davit O. Hewett Roy Alexander Roscoe Groom John A. Smith Joseph Halpin
Julius H. Seidemann Otis Hake Francis J. Holley Alvin T. Anderson Frank L. Harris Louis F. Smith Paris A. Harbison
Blythe Campbell Robert G. Hash Bertrand Honeyman Walter S. Arterburn John T. Heinisch Robert Steenhoek James H. Kennedy
Mike J. Elish Lester R. Hayden James J. Kelly Avon B. Ball Jack J. Higham Phillip Sturtz Weldon Lagrave
Earl V. Davis George H. Hurst Bert W. Killie Clair Baum Giedeon C. Holmborn Sigard B. Swanson Frank Lois
Elbridge N. Davis Paul Melcher Stanley J. Kula Earl A. Bemis Eugene G. Hull Edward Tandeski Purley H. Lynn
Norbert Dohmeyer Frank J. Peck Walter W. Lahmann John S. Benny Ewart A. Ingram Hobert R. Taylor Clyde H. Marshall
Raleigh C. Mathias Arthur L. Pedgeon Anthony A. Leahy Andrew V. Berberich William B. Jackson Noah E. Taylor David W. mayo
Thomas H. Barrett John H. Rechner Thomas Leonard Albert T. Berggren Otto Jobe Lyal M. Tressler Joseph T. Murphy
Lee F. Sime Leonard L. Sanford James B. Little Charlie C. Bilsing George W. Johnson Peter P. Trumpich Thomas Murtha
Sampson D. Harrison William B. Schlins James A. McDonald Raphael T. Bisenius Isaac Johnston Frank Vuolo Harry I. Nelson
Harold Peterson Douglas N. Schneider Charles Mikalouski John T. Bodycote Robert Jones Robert C. Watson Oscar Ohlsson
Thomas F. Burke Walter H. Schwartz John J. O'Leary Maurice Borgerding William H. Jones Ross W. Webel Frank Passalaqua
Frank L. Prall William M. Smith Paul Paschen Roy Bowen Leo Kiwalski Arthur A. Wendt Verl V. Pontius
Willaim F. Deuel Renhard W. Thompson Roy R. Roe Edward H. Boyer Joseph Kovalesky Charles E. Willard Harvey M. Pullen

Battery B, 57th Artillery, C.A.C. Officers

Captan, F. Harold Brown, Cedarhurst, NY, Transfered from Battery dec. 12, 1918. In Command of Third Battalion, 57th Artillery C.A.C.
Captain Burton K. Harris, joined Battery October 26, 1918. Placed in command December 13, 1918.
1st Lt. Frank J. Roszel, Bloomfield, NJ
1st Lt. Woodbury H. Stevens, Maine, Transferred to Second Battalion, 57th Arty, October 15, 1918.
2nd Lt. James E. Roach, Chicago, IL
2nd Lt. Jay Moore
2nd Lt. John Wallitz

Enlisted Men, Battery B, 57th Artillery, C.A.C.

First Sgt. Frank J. Reilly Joseph Biasi Irving Barkowitz Henry M. Schriefer Edward Grassl James L. O'Neill Bernard Wegman
Supply Sgt. John E. Jamison Mechanics James Bird Raymond Sevorey Antonio Grasso Leo G. O'Neill Morton E. Wolcott
Mess Sgt. Frank J. Higgins William B. Falbey Theodore Bissinger Chester M. Staub James P. Grogan Alphonso Palozzi
Sergeants John J. Delaney William F. Boehme John Sturla Francis Guthrie Robert Panzrioni
Daniel R. Wood George Marler Peter F. Carrozzo John S. Teaney Frank S. Haering Robert E. Parkinson
Phillip Weinman Willard F. Griffith Edward Cordes Sam Triolo Patrick J. Hannan Joseph P. Powers
Robert Papini Buell Dolin Joseph Cummings Percy J. Vance George H. Hardych Frank Raitano
Michael A. Moldow Cooks John L. Ertel Chester M. Wallace Harry J. harms Fred S. Rashid
Charles M. Steffens Dominick Delsante August Fierro Privates Albert A. Harrison Albert S. Reichel
Frank J. McGelliget George G. Scheg Steve J. Frederick Diletto T. Barra Howard C. Henderson Joseph L. Remillard
Emmet L. Holmes Eugene J. Herrmann John J. Gararino Paul Bernitoris Michael J. Hickey Alphonso Ricciardo
Vernon E. Allen Thomas W. Somerville Ulysses Goddard Marvin Blankenship Joseph A. Hlopko Pasquale Rizza
Joseph C. Schulze Wagoners George C. Greinke Simmone Bonnano Thomas J. Hoey Michael J. Roche
Charles E. Bell Patrick Barrett Roy J. Herrick Joseph Brown Isaac Hudson, Jr. James Rock
Corporals Louis Bartollozzi Albert J. Herry Walter J. Buhr Stansell S. Hutto Leonard V. Romano
Francis A. MacDonald Raymond J. Burns Eugene J. Higgins Paul Butzler Frank Jamieson Frank Sanzo
Samuel Levy James J. Coughlin Edd Mogue Edgar F. Cadle Charles D. johnson Nelson A. Schoenthaler
Edwin M. Bennett Joseph Duane Edward Holler Carl E. Carlson William F. Keenan George Schultz
Ernest Brunet, Jr. John T. Halloran Claude M. Howenstein Lawrence Carmichael George Kellman William Sedlack
Joseph C. Magin Thomas F. Hastings Harry G. Hudson James Cassidy Charles A. Kinble Michael J. Sheehan
George L. Hartman Frederick P. Hemen Matthew Ishkahula Richard Cooke Stanley A. Klijewski John Simonetti
Henry A. A. Little Neal B. Kelly Andrew Ivory Robert Daly Henry J. Knitter Francis A. Slater
James T. Price Joseph W. Ott Patrick J. Kennedy John R. Dillon Otto Leakfeldt Charles Smith
Frederick J. Ravekes Stephen B. Reynolds Charles Kiefer Felix Eismont Roscoe Lawson Forrest G. Smith
Julius A. Ronay Albert F. Schusterbauer Joseph A. McCance Frank Enes Raymond F. Leippe James Sparkmon
Robert J. Rader Edward Scott Ambross P. Manning Michael A. Falcone Joseph Liedl Charles V. Spiegler
Vincent B. Dignam George Simpson Carl J. Martin Albert G. Fell Fred A. Levick Louis C. Steinmiller
Henry A. Oliver Charles J. Ziegler Joseph J. May Russell L. Flesher Paul Lysell John Stock
George A. Elterich Frederick Ziegler Raymond J. Meerdink John J. Foley Thomas J. MacLean James H. Sullivan
Thomas V. Quinn Buglers Carl Meyer Colder H. Freeman Simon J. McAnally Bartholomew Sullivan
Fred Marengo George Warder Raymond J. O'Brien Paul W. Freese Donald McIntosh John J. Sommers
John A. Leavy Matthew Picht George F. Oehl James A. Fullwood John J. McSuade Alexander Surko
Joseph Guertin Sidney Feldstein Karl Otto Benjamin Gallis Salvatore Madonna William C. Thiem
Joseph Gladis Privates, First Class Michael Patrissi Emil Geiger Clearence J. Meader Charles E. Thomas
Christopher J. Fullam Abraham Ameele Edward N. Peterson Herbert J. Geier James A. Marcella Edward Teitelbaum
John V. Blank frank Achille Alfred Peterson Samuel N. Gerakos George A. May Herbert Tolson
bernard J. Grimes Arnold Backus James Rooney Julius L. Gessner John Mensing Jacob J. VanSice
John J. Hamilton William E. Bauer Jacob Roth William Getsy Jesse E. Mixon James C. Verrinder
John J. Sullivan Theodore Beckel James Savage Gordon M. Gibbs George P. Morgan Augustus Virgue
Irving Becker Simone Bennett Fred F. Schlitzer Reuben Goodman Harry Oberman Mike Waldron

Corporal Francis A. MacDonald, Battery B

Dick Bassett writes about his father-in-law, Francis A. MacDonald who was a Corporal in Battery B. Francis told him that he as he was mustering into the army he told the clerk three times his middle initial was an "J" but the clerk wrote it as Francis "A" MacDonald and on the Army muster rolls he was forever Francis "J" MacDonald.

Hand tinted photo of Francis A. MacDonald taken in 1919 showing him wearing Sergeant stripes and one overseas cheveron on his lower left sleeve.

Date this page was last updated Sunday, November 6, 2011

This page is owned by Joe Hartwell ©2004-2011

If you have research comments or additional information on this page e-mail them to: Joe Hartwell

[Back to the Site Map] [Back to the Coast Artillery History Page] [ Back to the 57th Artillery Main Page ]