Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

The Coast Defenses of Galveston, Texas during WWI


The Headquarters of the Coast Defenses of Galveston, Texas were based at Fort Crockett and consisted of three separate forts in the Galveston area. They were Fort Crockett, Fort San Jacinto and Fort Travis.

Fort Crockett, Coast Defenses of Galveston is a permanent post, located in Galveston, Galveston County Texas. Named in honor of David Crockett, famous hunter and legislator, who was killed at the Alamo in 1836. The original reservation was acquired by purchase in 1897. The buildings in course of construction were destroyed in the flood of 1900. Fort Crockett is the Headquarters and a station of the Coast Defenses of Galveston, South Atlantic Coast Artillery District. Fort property is about 92 acres in size.

Troops stationed at Fort Crockett were:
Coast Artillery: 15th, 20th Regiments, 2d C.D. Co. Ft. Crockett; 1st, 2d, 3d, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 12th, 13th, 14th Cos. C. D. Galveston; 3d Trench Mortar Battalion.


Fort San Jacinto, Coast Defenses of Galveston is a permanent post, located on the North-East end of Galveston Island, Galveston County Texas. Named in commemoration of the battle of San Jacinto, which resulted in Texan independence. The original military reservation was established by the Republic of Texas in 1836 and claimed by the United States in 1887. Fort San Jacinto is a station of the Coast Defenses of Galveston, South Atlantic Coast Artillery District. The area of the fort is about 1,540 acres.

Troops stationed at Fort San Jacinto were:
Coast Artillery: 1st, 2d, 3d C. D. Cos. Ft. Crockett; 1st, 2d, 3d, 8th, 10th, 11th, 12th Cos. C. D. Galveston.


Fort Travis, Coast Defenses of Galveston is a permanent post, located at Bolivar Point, Galveston, Galveston County Texas. Named in honor of Lt. Col. William B. Travis, Republic of Texas, who commanded the Texan forces in the Alamo and was killed in its defense in 1836. The original reservation was acquired by purchase in 1898. Ft. Travis is a station of the Coast Defenses of Galveston, South
Atlantic Coast Artillery District. The area of the fort is about 96 Acres.

Troops stationed at Ft. Travis were: Coast Artillery: 9th Co. C. D. Galveston.


This page is owned by Joe Hartwell ©2003

If you have research comments or additional information on this page E-mail them to: Joe Hartwell

This page was created on 1 January, 2004 and last modified on: Saturday, June 23, 2007

[Back to the Site Map] • [Back to the Coast Artillery History Page]