Length: 503'11". Breadth: 69 foot 7 inches. Mean Draft: 24 feet 1 inch. Displacement: 13,680 tons. Machinery: 28,059 IHP; 2 Vertical, Inverted, Triple Expansion Engines, 2 screws. Speed: 22.41 knots. Coal Bunker Capacity: 1,825 tons. Batteries: Main Battery: four 8 inch breech-loading rifles 40 cal., fourteen 6-inch rapid fire guns 50 cal., Secondary Battery: eighteen 3-inch rapid fire guns 50 cal., twelve 3-pounder semi-automatic guns, two 1-pounder rapid fire guns, two 18-inch submerged torpedo tubes. Armor: Belt, 6 inches; turrets, 6 1/2 inches; barbettes, 6 inches; deck, 4 inches; Conning Tower, 9 inches. Complement: 41 officers, 850 men. Built by: Newport News Shipbuilding & Dry Dock Co., Newport News, Va. Launched: 12 September, 1903. Class: PENNSYLVANIA
|This is a photo of the Maryland sometime after her 1910 rebuilt foremast. On the back it is identified as Seattle, Washington. This and the photo below were taken at the same event.|
|This photo of the Maryland and the one above was taken in Seattle, Washington. This photo shows her port side as many locals come aboard for a tour. It looks as if she is in a river or inlet in Seattle as many factories can be seen in the background. Note the folks on the shore in the foreground. I believe the photo above this one was taken at the same time as this one but from the opposite side of the bank.|
There were 6 ships in the Pennsylvania class and the Maryland (later renamed Frederick) was the second fastest ship in the class. Her 4-hour full power trial showed 28,059 I.H.P. at 22.41 Kts. The Pittsburgh, ex Pennsylvania was the fastest ship at 28,600 I.H.P. at 22.44 Kts. It was noted that the Maryland's main battery of 8-inch guns could be fired at a rate of 1 round per 50 seconds. According to a newspaper clipping dated 28 January 1905 the speed trial of the Maryland took place on the 27th January 1905 on an 88-knot course from Thatchers Island, off Gloucester, Maine to Cape Porpoise, Maine and then back again. With Captain Ingersoll at the helm the Maryland answered his commands very quickly and was speedy and economic at the same time.
|Saturday, January 28, 1905
The Maryland A Speedy Boat.
Attained and Average of 22.306 Knots an Hour on Official Trial Trip. Tidal Corrections Will Be In Her Favor. The new cruiser may be recorded as the speediest of her class. During the trial the two engines developed an average horsepower of 27,000. She is an economical coal burner and quick with her helm.
Boston, Jan. 27. (1905) With a keen north-west wintry wind striking her abeam, the armored cruiser Maryland, which was built by the Newport News Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Company, attained on her official trial trip today an average speed of 22.306 knots an hour, thereby exceeding her contract requirement of 22 knots.
The Maryland is the fourth and last of a type of fast cruisers to have a trial off this coast. Of the three, which have proceeded, the Pennsylvania, the fastest of these, averaged 22.43 knots an hour. It was unofficially announced by the trial board today, however, that the tidal corrections fro the trial of the Maryland are in the ships favor to from 11 to 18 one-hundredths of a knot. If this trial correction is over .124 of a knot the Maryland will be recorded as the speediest cruiser of her class.
The trial course today extended from Thatchers Island, off Gloucester, to Cape Porpoise and return, a distance of 88 knots.
The Maryland was found to have quick working steering gear, establishing a record for the throwing of the helm hard over, when the big ship was describing a figure 8 at the conclusion of the official run. It was found that the run was held under an economic consumption of coal. During the trial the two engines of the cruiser developed an average horsepower of 27,000.
The average speed attained of 22.306 will be subject to the change of the tidal correction, which will not be made known until the commanders of the various stake boats have made their reports to the official trial board.
The trip of the Maryland today was observed under an official Government inspection board, which was headed by Captain J. H. Dayton.
The second Maryland (ACR-8) was laid down by the Newport News Shipbuilding & Dry Dock Co., Newport News, Va., 7 October 1901 and she was launched on 12 September 1903. Maryland was sponsored by Miss Jennie Scott Waters and was commissioned on 18 April 1905, with Captain Royal R. Ingersoll in command. Captain Ingersoll was a native of Indiana and later became an Admiral and the cruiser USS Ingersoll was named in his honor. In October 1905, following her shakedown, Maryland joined the Atlantic Fleet for operations along the east coast and in the Caribbean, where she took part in the 1906 winter maneuvers off Cuba.
In 1906 the Navy made its first efforts to make use of naval radio on its ships of the line. In the early months of 1906 Rear Adm. Robley D. Evans, Commander of the U.S. Atlantic Fleet saw an opportunity to experiment with the new radios. The Dewey Dry-dock had just sailed under tow across the Atlantic for the Philippines and he formed a scouting line composed of the USS Illinois, USS Pennsylvania, USS West Virginia, USS Colorado and the USS Maryland. The distance the ships in the scouting line kept from each other was dependent on the ability of each ship to keep in radio contact with the next ship in the line. The idea was to keep in radio contact with the towing party of the Dewey Dry-dock as she was towed across the Atlantic. It was on the 19th of January that the Maryland was 500 miles east of Cape Hatteras, NC and 600 miles north of San Juan, PR, and 640 miles west of the USS Glacier, the flagship of the towing group, when the Maryland received a message from the Glacier for relay to Washington, DC. The Maryland relayed this the USS Illinois, which relayed it to the USS Missouri and she sent it to RADM Evans flagship the USS Maine. The Maine then tried the relay to a shore station but was not able to make contact. One week later another attempt was tried as the scouting line had moved another 300 miles farther south. The Glacier again sent a message to the Maryland, which she was able to relay to the Missouri. But the Missouri had to relay the message visually to the Maine. On this attempt the Maine did make radio contact with the shore station. These were the only two communications that were relayed from the Glacier through the Maryland. The Maryland herself was able to keep fairly good radio communications with the Glacier for several days.
During that first trial the Maryland had the best radio communications as she had the most powerful radio set. The West Virginia had the next most powerful radio. The Maryland and the West Virginia could transmit radio messages from 550 to 600 miles distance from each other. On the other end of the scale the range that the Colorado and the Pennsylvania could communicate was only about 150 miles distance. RADM Evans again set up another radio experiment in February 1906 in which two scouting groups would try to keep the other scouting force from communicating with the use of radio interference. These two scouting forces were the Blue Force made up of the USS Alabama, Illinois, Maine, Missouri, Kearsage, and Iowa. The opposing Red Force was made up of the USS Maryland, West Virginia, Pennsylvania and the Colorado. It was judged that the Blue force was unable to keep the Red Force from communicating the speed and direction of the Blue Force between the Red Force ships. The radio equipment of the time was just not built to withstand the high power that was required to operate a successful radio signal. Transmitting at full power caused excessive heat and this caused the radio sets to break down. They were repaired with anything that could be found on the ship such as tinfoil taken from tobacco packages and other pieces of zinc that could be found. The Navy learned from these two exercises that much improvement in Naval Radio had to be made before it would be reliable enough to withstand the stress of combat at sea between ships. For several years afterwards there was no real improvement in Naval radio transmission at sea.
During the summer of 1907, she conducted a training cruise for Massachusetts Naval Militiamen, and then readied for transfer to the Pacific. Departing Newport News, Virginia on 8 September 1906 she sailed, via San Francisco and Hawaii, for the Asiatic station where she remained until October 1907. In February 1907 Captain Ingersoll term of service as commander of the Maryland was up and Captain C. Thomas took command. During 1907 Maryland along with the cruisers USS Colorado, USS West Virginia and USS Pennsylvania formed the First Division of the First Squadron, Asiatic Fleet, Commanded by Rear Admiral Willard H. Brownson. The USS West Virginia was the Flagship of the Asiatic Fleet. On 2 September 1907 all 4 cruisers of the First Division were at anchor in Honolulu, Hawaii.
She then returned to San Francisco and for the next decade where she cruised throughout the Pacific. In early March 1908 the Armored Cruiser Squadron and the Third Division of the Pacific Fleet held their target practice in preparation for the Annual Battleship Trophy for the best marksmanship of main guns on active cruisers or battleships in the combined American Fleet, which would be held in May. The Pacific fleet held their practice in Magdalena Bay and the Atlantic Fleet held its practice in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. In May during the combined competition at the firing range off Magdalena Bay, Mexico, the Marylands forward 8-inch main gun had the best sore of the entire fleet where she bested the larger guns on the fleet battleships. The 1908 Battleship Trophy was awarded to the Maryland and during the competition it was proved that the guns of the cruisers were more accurate than the guns of the battleships and that the average marksmanship of the Pacific Fleet was better than the Atlantic Fleet.
During the spring of 1908, in San Francisco there was a smallpox plague and the Admiral gave orders that no navy personnel was to go ashore until properly vaccinated. One sailor onboard the Maryland, Albert Henderson wrote his mother from the Maryland which was anchored in Vallejo, CA on 1 April 1908 stating that they are under orders not to leave the ship due to the smallpox plague. During July the Battleship Nebraska was in quarantine in the harbor in San Francisco on account of some cases of smallpox among her enlisted men. On the 18th of April 1908 she went to the Bremerton, Washington Navy Yard to go into dry-dock there for routine repairs and she was still in the dry-dock on the 28th of April. She left Bremerton on 1 May, returning to San Francisco for a review of a fleet of 42 warships at anchor in San Francisco Bay, by Navy Secretary Metcalf on 8 May 1908.
In the later months of 1908 Maryland cruised the Pacific and made stops in Samoa as noted on a post card from a crewman to his cousin Miss Ruth Joyce of Centralia, Washington, who stated that he was well and in his words not much news. He stated on the card that the photo on the front was of the native Samoan village of Pago Pago. The card stated the Maryland was in San Francisco, CA on January 15th 1909. The Maryland was serving in the Pacific Fleet with at least the West Virginia, which was Commander-in-Chief, US Pacific Fleet, RADM W. T. Swinburns flagship. This is known from a disciplinary letter written to the Captain of the Maryland from RADM Swinburn dated 8 February 1909 from Callao, Peru in regards to a general court-martial of GM2c Perry E. Ammon of the Maryland. GM2c Ammon was found guilty of Leaving station before being regularly relieved.
In the early months of 1909 the Maryland along with her sister ships, Colorado, Pennsylvania and West Virginia formed the Second Division and they were in the Galapagos Islands taking surveys and soundings of the islands for future coaling stations. This is known from a 14 February 1909 personal logbook from a Maryland crewman, Seaman Fred Sanford Rice in which he states; We are to take surveys, some say the Government is looking for a good site for a coaling station. The ships visited Charles (Isla Floreana) and Albemarle (Isla Isabela) islands but only the Maryland visited Indefatigable (Isla Santa Cruz) Island.
The new year of 1910 brought new changes to the Maryland as she underwent a refit and her original foremast was removed and replaced with a cage style mast, as did the other ships in her class. These new cage style masts were installed because they were designed to take several hits from an enemy and stay intact. Also the additional height was used for better artillery observation of her main battery as targets had to be seen in order to aim for them in those days. On the down side these new masts were flexible enough to take several hits from an enemy shell they were also flexible enough to give the observers in the tower a sporting ride in rough weather and when the main battery was fired. Maryland was in the Navy Yard at Mare Island, California on the second day of May 1910 as the Federal Census was taken that day on board the ship. On the 13th of February 1910 Maryland was at sea heading for San Francisco and made port on Valentines Day. According to a Post Card dated 11 October 1910, Maryland was at the Navy Yard in San Francisco, CA. In the 4 December 1910 edition of the Washington Post, under the Movements of Naval Vessels section the USS West Virginia, Maryland, South Dakota, California, Colorado and the Pennsylvania all arrived in port at San Diego, California.
During December of 1910 at a target range off San Diego the Marylands gun crew scores 14 hits on the target at a range of 5 1/2 miles. This was an example of the Marylands marksmanship as during 1908 she won the combined fleet Battleship Trophy and in 1909 and 1910 she flew the Spokane Trophy Pennant as her gun crews had the best marksmanship of any cruiser or battleship in the Navy. Maryland was the second ship to win the Spokane Trophy and the USS Tennessee was the first ship to win the Spokane Trophy in 1908. The Spokane Chamber of Commerce in 1907 sent a letter to Victor Metcalf, then Secretary of the Navy in which the Spokane Chamber wanted to donate an annual award for Atlantic Fleet turret marksmanship. President Theodore Roosevelt and Secretary Metcalf decided that it should be awarded annually to the battleship or armored cruiser of either fleet that made the highest final merit with all of her turret guns. Trophy costs of $1,500 was paid for and donated by citizens of Spokane, Washington to be awarded to the best battleship or cruiser in the U. S. Navy Fleet. The Spokane Trophy has undergone several changes from 1908 and is still active today being awarded by CINCPACFLT to the surface combatant ship considered to be the most proficient in overall combat systems readiness and warfare operations.
Another early photo of the USS Maryland in the Dewey Drydock. You can see that the floor of the drydock is partially awash. Indicating that she was rising or lowering the Maryland. On the right side of the photo can be seen two smoke stacks billowing coal smoke, again showing the drydock pumping water to rise or lower the Maryland. This photo shows the Maryland with her original fore mast indicating this photo is before 1910.
During the winter of 1910-1911, the Maryland stood witness to a historic event in naval history and naval aviation history. In San Francisco Bay, young Seaman Joseph Seuffert stood on the deck of his ship, the Maryland and witnessed a plane landed on a platform constructed on the afterdeck of her sister ship the USS Pennsylvania. At the Mare Island Navy Yard, California in January 1911 the Pennsylvania was fitted with a temporary wooden deck in preparation for Eugene Ely's airplane landing attempt. Upon completion of her flight deck Pennsylvania cruised to San Francisco Bay, California, where she anchored for Eugene Ely's historic flight. Ely landed his Curtiss pusher biplane on board the ship on the morning of 18 January 1911, the first airplane landing on a warship. The landing deck, 120 feet long and 30 feet wide, was inclined slightly to help slow the plane as it landed, and had a thirty-degree ramp at its after end.
|Maryland’s Bridge cleared for Action. She is underway steaming in the Target Range during a Pacific Practice during 1912.|
At the beginning of 1912 the Maryland was enjoying days of warmth and calm with the Pacific Fleet then in Hawaiian waters stationed at Honolulu. But the calm did not last long as on January 15, 1912 the Navy Department gave rush orders to the Maryland that she was to sail with all haste to Guayaquill, Ecuador to protect American interests and lives there. The gunboat USS Yorktown was already on station in Guayaquill and the Maryland was to join her there. The Maryland was also used by Secretary Frank Knox to take him to West Coast Central American Ports on diplomatic missions. In the later days of March 1912 the Maryland was due in port at San Diego, California to take part in the largest practice of the Pacific Torpedo Fleet held to that date, which was to take place about the 8th of April.
On Tuesday April 23, 1912 the Maryland took part in an exercise that was in hindsight somewhat risky and ill advised. She was used as a live target for the submarine Grampus off San Pedro. The Grampus fired a torpedo at the Maryland and the resulting impact left a nine-inch hole in the side of the Maryland. The torpedo tore through her outer plates and she quickly anchored in the outer harbor in San Pedro to make temporary repairs to her hull. Officers who were interviewed kept a tight lid on what had happened saying that they would or could not comment on the actions that took place and the damage to the Maryland. But enlisted men who were allowed to come ashore during the repairs did tell that it was risky to the men as well as endangering the ship using her as a live target. On April 26 the Grampus along with the submarine Pike left with the naval tug Fortune for San Diego where a Naval Court of Inquiry would be held into the actions of the 23 of April.
Maryland participates in survey missions to Alaska in 1912 and 1913. On August 9, 1912 Maryland returned to Seward, Alaska from Cordova during the night. She was waiting on a party of officers and men she had left there before going to Cordova. The shore party was to inspect the Coal Fields at Matanuska and then to meet the ship upon her return. During her 1913 Alaska trip the ships company marched in a July 4th Parade in Seward, Alaska.
Late in 1912, a newly minted Ensign from the Naval Academy Class of 1912 reported for duty to the Commanding Officer of the Maryland. The Ensign was Thomas L. Gatch, who during WWII earned a reputation as a hard charging Battleship Commander, and would retired from active service at the rank of Vice-Admiral. Ensign Gatch served aboard the Maryland from 1913 through 1916 when he was transferred to duty aboard the gunboat USS Princeton then at the Bremerton Navy Yard. On March 20, 1942, Captain Thomas L. Gatch took command of the newly commissioned battleship USS South Dakota (BB-57), and by October 26, 1942 at the battle of Santa Cruz Island in the Pacific, Gatch had the guns of the South Dakota inflicting damage to the Japanese Navy for the first time.
Officers of the Maryland, January of 1913:
|Captain John M. Ellicott, Commanding
Commander Benjamin B. McCormick, Executive Officer
Lt. Cmdr. Mark C. Ellis
Lt. Cmdr. Ralph E. Pope
Lt. Milton S. Davis
Lt. William L. Calhoun
Lt. (jg) Emil A. Lichtenstein
Ensign Walter K. Killpatrick
Ensign Howard B. Mecleary
Ensign Allan G. Olson
Ensign Herbert W. Underwood
Ensign Frederick C. Sherman
Ensign Donald B. Beary
Ensign James T. Alexander
Ensign Timothy A. Parker
Ensign William E. Baughman
Ensign Ole O. Hagen
Ensign Harry W. Hill
Ensign Norman L. Kirk
Ensign Marritt Hodson
|Ensign James A. Cruthcfield
Ensign Harold W. Scofield
Ensign Thomas L. Gatch
Ensign John P. Bowden
Passed Asst. Surgeon John D. Manchester
Passed Asst. Surgeon Harry A. Garrison
Paymaster Eugene C. Tobey
Captain Chandler Campbell, USMC Commanding
Boatswain William DeFries
Gunner John K. Thompson
Chief Machinist Fred F. Ingram
Chief Machinist Frederick F. Krainek
Chief Machinist Francis G. Randall
Chief Carpenter Arno W. Jones
Paymaster Clerk Otis F. Cato
Paymaster Clerk Josiah Merritt
She steamed off the Central American coast to aid, if necessary, Americans endangered by political turmoil in Mexico and Nicaragua (1913, 1914, and 1916); and made numerous training cruises to Hawaii and the South-Central Pacific. In the 25 January 1914 issue of the Washington Post, under the section Movements of Naval Vessels, the Maryland was listed as arriving at San Diego and then to San Pedro, California. She was listed as sailing from San Pedro in the same issue so she must have put in to coal and went back out again. Maryland was known to have been at San Diego, California about the end of April 1916 as Seaman, "Tommy" Harrington wrote to his mother stating that he had been transferred off the USS Maryland which, was in San Diego at the time, and sailed on the USS Charleston to the canal Zone. Maryland was assigned to the Cruiser and Transport Force, United States Atlantic Fleet, which was under the command of Rear Admiral Albert Greaves, on July 1st, 1916. The Maryland was renamed Frederick, 9 November 1916, so that her name could be used for a new class of modern battleships being built.
The Frederick was at sea en route from Puget Sound to San Francisco on 6 April 1917 when the news was flashed to her that America had declared war on Germany. The ship immediately put in at San Francisco to take on coal and loaded shells and powder. While at San Francisco a change of command took place on the Frederick on April 10, 1917 as Captain William C. Cole assumed command of the ship. Just as the Frederick was replenished Captain Cole was given orders to steam for the Cerros Islands, in Mexican waters where the Collier Brutus had been beached in a fog. After 10 days they dragged her clear and then towed her to San Diego, where they took on more coal and supplies and sailed for South America.
During the Frederick’s salvage operations to free the Brutus, Lt. J. P. Jackson and Lt. Culp of the Frederick both took very active parts. Captain Cole made a special report commending his two officers for the outstanding work they preformed. The Captain writes the following in his report, “It appears desirable to invite the attention of the Commander-in Chief to the cheerful, intelligent and almost continuous executive work carried out by Lt. Jackson and Lt. Culp, the former for work having to do with the salvage, and the latter for work having to do with the ship’s routine.” The Frederick began working to free the Brutus on April 24, and finally got her free on May 1.
On 20 May 1917 the Frederick along with the USS South Dakota entered the Canal at Balboa transiting to join the Atlantic Fleet. USS Frederick along with the USS Pittsburg, USS Pueblo and USS South Dakota then proceeded to the South Atlantic for patrol duty operating from Brazilian ports. From May 1917 through January 1918, she patrolled the southeastern Atlantic off the coast of South America. On 1 February 1918, she was assigned to escort duty in the North Atlantic and until the signing of the Armistice she convoyed troopships east of the 37th meridian.
The Frederick is traveling eastbound in an 8-ship convoy and at noon on April 5, 1918 the westbound transport USS Pocahontas (formerly the German Princess Irene) steaming from St. Nazaire, France makes contact with the eastbound convoy. Captain Hellweg aboard the Pocahontas gives his recognition signal but aboard the Frederick, Hellwig’s signal is misread. The Frederick quickly fires a shot across the bow of the Pocahontas, which Captain Hellwig orders his ship slowed to one-third speed. The Frederick then stood over toward the then unidentified ship and makes positive identification. By 1:10 pm all is made good and Hellwig orders the Pocahontas back on course for the States. Aboard the Frederick likely the talk was ‘better to be sure than be wrong’ among the crew.
On May 10, 1918, the Frederick was lead escort ship of the 35th United States Convoy to Europe. Two groups of ships consisting of the American transports Lenape, Pastores, Wilhelmina, Princess Matoika, Antigone and Susquehanna along with the British steamer Kursk and Italian Duca d'Aosta had arrived in New York to join with the smaller group of American ships consisting of the President Lincoln, Covington, Rijndam and British trooper Dwinsk and Italian steamers Caserta and Dante Alighieri. At 6:30 on the evening of May 10 the convoy of 14 troopships left the harbor at New York eastbound across the Atlantic under the watchful eye of the Frederick. Ten days into the trip on May 20 the Frederick spots and fires on a suspected target thought to be a German U-boat. After a few shots it was found that the target was a bucket bobbing harmless in the open ocean. The next day on the 21st of May at 3:30 in the morning the Frederick meets the relief escorts consisting of nine destroyers at the rendezvous spot 3-days steaming time from Brest, France. The Frederick turned over the convoy to the destroyers and headed back west to the States to pick up her next eastbound convoy.
By June 16, 1918 the Frederick along with her sister ship the North Carolina, the battleship USS Texas and destroyers Stevens and Fairfax were escorting a 13-ship convoy eastbound from New York to France. A few days into this convoy another floating object was mistakenly thought to be a U-boat. This time the offending debris turned out to be a wooden barrel likely from a victim of a German U-boat. But by the afternoon of June 27 the convoy had reached Brest, France unharmed.
At sea on June 30 Frederick is escorting a westbound returning convoy to the States from France, some of the ships in the convoy are the Henderson, Mongolia and the Von Stuben. While still at sea with the convoy on July 4th, 1918 Frederick fires a 21-gun salute in honor of the nations birthday, which was promptly followed by all the other ships in the convoy breaking out the colors in celebration. Her next convoy left New York in early September 1918 consisting of 7 ships. Escorting this convoy along with the Frederick was the destroyer Colhoun (DD-85).
USS Frederick was assigned to Cruiser Force, Squadron One, Division Two, under the command of Captain W. C. Cole. Frederick was only utilized as Convoy escort group flagship during 1917 and 1918. She did not transport any troops herself during this period. On September 23, 1918 Captain Cole was detached from the Frederick to take command of the USS Nevada (BB-36). Cole’s replacement was Captain William Pitt Scott and by 20 November 1918, Frederick was attached to the Cruiser and Destroyer Force.
By early October 1918 the Frederick was in need of some routine dry dock time for maintenance. She puts into Portsmouth, N. H. Navy Yard and enters the dry dock there. During this time many of her crew takes advantage of some needed liberty. Once such man is Chief Fred Lentz a member of the Frederick's band. Chief Lentz takes 10-days leave and travels home on October 11 to Jonesboro, Illinois to visit his mother Mrs. H. C Lentz. On a previous liberty from the Frederick in January of 1918 as she was in Halifax, Lentz visited the parents of his wife Mr. and Mrs. George L. Spire. Fred Lentz had joined the navy in July of 1917 as a musician and had sailed to South American waters aboard Collier USS Orion to join the Frederick then patrolling the waters off South America. He had been aboard the Frederick for 10 trips across the Atlantic.
On Thanksgiving Day 1918 the ships officers under command of Captain William Pitt Scott were:
Captain William Pitt Scott, USN, Commanding
Commander Stephen Clegg Rowan, USN, Executive Officer
Lt. CMDR W. B. Allison, USNRF, First Lieutenant
Lt. CMDR Walden L. Ainsworth, USN, Gunnery Officer
Lt. J. P. Dalton, USN, Navigator
Lt. R. A. Silent, USNRF, Senior Engineer Officer
Commander Curtis B. Munger Medical Corps, USN, Senior Medical Officer
Lt. CMDR Edwin M. Hacker, Pay Corps, USN, Supply Officer
LT. John Wilkes
Ensign C. F. Eddy
Ensign M. E. Earle
Lt. Earl Richison, Medical Corps
Boatswain L. King
Upon the end of hostilities, when shipping space was scarce and fast transports were required to return the AEF to the United States, the Cruiser Force was assigned to aid in this task. Thus, on January 2nd, 1919 Frederick began the first of 6 turn-around trips to Europe to return US Doughboys to New York. On January 17, 1919 she is anchored in the harbor at Brest, France loading troops for home. Among those first troops loaded aboard was Pvt. Rothhammer of the 330th Infantry Regiment, 83rd Division. Excerpts of Pvt. Earl Pliny Rothhammer's letter to the folks back home where he talks about the Frederick.
Camp Merritt, N.J. Feb. 1. 1919 Dear Folks:
"... We left Brest, Jan. 17. (ed: 1919) We were there 17 days and it was detail every day and many of the nights, rain or shine, and it was mostly rain. My shoes were not dry during the 17 days and many times I went to bed soaked from my knees down. I don't see how we kept out of the hospital.
The hike to the boat was the hardest hike we ever made. We came over on the USS Frederick, formerly the Maryland. It’s a cruiser, built in 1902. I was sick the first day or two but after that I enjoyed the trip. We took a southern route and it was warm all the way. We could lie on the deck all day and during the evening and be comfortable. We had a band on board that played once or twice a day and fine meals. We bought fruit at the canteen. We would buy about 10 cans of peaches, 6 cans of pineapple, 10 lemon snaps and when they sold out of fruit we bought peanut butter and catsup, 6 at a time. I remember one night I was almost crowded out of bed by the canned goods & lemon snaps.
At 6 A.M. it was “Heave out and trice up your bunks”. Breakfast at 8, dinner at 12, supper at 6. Between meals we would loaf on deck or play pitch. We certainly had some games too. Most of the time we would keep our hands on the cards to keep them from blowing away. Also had a library on board and we could read if we liked.
When we came into New York Harbor, early Thursday morning, the Mayors welcome committee greeted us. After we landed the Y.M.C.A., Salvation Army & Red Cross gave out gum, candy, chocolate candy, post cards, coffee & buns & cigarettes. We loaded on the train for Camp Merritt at 12:10 and were put in barracks close to the place where we were in November… Hoping to be home soon, I am, Regards to all, Your Son Earl P. Rothhammer Co. C. 330th Inf., 83rd Division
P.S. Part of the 83rd Paraded N.Y. City and we may be called on to walk the streets of some Ohio city before we don civilized clothing again.
On February 2, 1919 the Frederick headed out east bound across the Atlantic to pick up her next load of troops in France. She steamed out of Brest, France west bound on February 19, 1919 and the Frederick had aboard the 95th and 103rd Aero Squadrons along with some other army troops. When the Frederick cleared Brest, France the trip seemed to be routine but during the trip the ship sprang a leak, which likely caused some real worries for the army troops aboard. The leak was bad enough that some of the army troops were employed in helping pump out the flooded compartments. On March 1, 1919 the Frederick reached Hoboken, NJ safely albeit a bit wet in a few places.
Another of these trips was on 22 April 1919 where the Frederick left Brest, France this time with the 119th Field Artillery aboard and reached Hoboken, New Jersey on May 3, 1919. In all, the Frederick returned 9,661 men to the USA, completing her last trip on July 12th, 1919, and returning to the Fleet on July 14th, 1919. Detached from that duty, she entered the Philadelphia Navy Yard where she was placed in reduced commission. Captain Scott was still in command of the Frederick in January of 1920, which the Frederick was still at the Philadelphia Navy Yard in reduced commission with a reduced crew of 209 officers and enlisted men. Captain Scott’s executive officer at the time was Lt. Commander Stephen B. Robinson.
By the spring of 1919 the navy again was trying additional radio experiments in its ships. General Electric built a special vacuum-tube transmitter for two-way radio tests on board the USS George Washington. Later that year in December there was an unsuccessful attempt to broadcast a speech made by President Woodrow Wilson, who was a passenger on the George Washington headed for the Peace Treaty Signing in Paris. During the first part of March 1919, the Navy Department asked the Research Laboratory of the General Electric Company to install a radiotelephone transmitter on the USS George Washington, to work in connection with the New Brunswick station, so that the President would be able to get into telephonic communication with Washington D.C. while still on the high seas. On April 14th, radio operators on the George Washington talked to the USS Frederick, at that time about 150 miles ahead of the George Washington, and they reported: "Phone loud and strong, easily understood." On April 16th, the log of the George Washington reads: "Before beginning the 3:00 p.m. schedule a broadcast message was sent on the George Washington's spark transmitter at 600 meters and at 952 meters asking all ships to listen for the Washington’s radiophone on 1800 meters and report how they received us and giving their position." About a dozen ships sent in reports. The ship farthest away that reported was about 320 miles from the George Washington. They reported "Phone fine on crystal with Marconi type receiver." The USS President Grant, about 150 miles from the Washington, reported hearing our radiophone 75 feet from the head phones using a four-stage amplifier. During these tests radio transmissions could be heard and sent from 800-1300 miles distant, a moderate improvement over the radio sets that were used in the first radios used in 1906, which gave 550-600 miles distant.
Frederick crossed the Atlantic again, carrying part of the U.S. Olympic Team to Antwerp, Belgium in July of 1920. The Frederick had been in reduced commission with a crew of about 200 at the Philadelphia Navy Yard, which was not enough of a crew to take her to sea for the Olympic cruise. So on July 15 a draft of Naval Reserves came on board to bring the crew up to strength required for the trip to Antwerp.
One such Naval Reservist was J. Roy Parker (1895-1957). Parker was a Yeoman second class and had been in the navy during WWI but had never gone to sea during the war. He spent the war years on land at Hampton Roads Navy Yard. Parker’s job on the Frederick during the Olympic cruise was in the personnel office tucked away deep within the ship. This was Yeoman Parker’s once in a lifetime chance to go down to the sea. He had served during the war, married shortly after the war and then lost his wife to the flu epidemic after the war. Yeoman Parker ran a small newspaper back home and so he wrote many letters and articles of his trip on the Frederick. The Olympics of 1920 did not get much mention in his writings but much was written about visiting the battlefields in France and meeting the Parisian ladies in the gardens of the Louvre in Paris. It seemed that Paris, the city of lights held more interest to many of the sailors than the sporting events of the 1920 Olympic games did. Until the day he passed away, one of Parker’s favorite things to do was to tell stories of that long-ago summer Olympic cruise on the Frederick.
The new crew only had one day to secure the ship and get ready for sea as on July 17 at 30 minutes past noon she got under way for Hampton Roads. The weather at sea on July 18th was stormy and as such one of the paravanes had become fowled and hung to the keel of the ship. Diving gear was ordered and divers were ready to go over the side but grappling hooks at the last moment finally brought the paravane to the surface. As Benjamin Kish, BM1c was attempting to place the cable back into the wheel of the crane something happened and all four of his fingers were cut off.
Now at Hampton Roads coaling the ship was the order of the day on the 19th. When coaling the ship with the “Black Diamonds” as referred to by the crew, all hands were required to help. As the coal lighters came alongside the men eagerly dug in and finished coaling in good time. The next day on the 20th was mail day and was spent in cleaning the ship and holystoning the deck after the coaling of the previous day.
The Frederick was to steam to Newport, Rhode Island in order to pick up the athletes she was to transport to Antwerp. Men from both the Navy and the Army dominated the Olympic games of 1920 for America. Among the Navy Olympic Wrestling team was a young engineer officer by the name of Daniel Vincent Gallery, Jr. He was attached to the Frederick during the summer of 1920 for participation in the 1920 Olympics. Later in WWII he commanded the escort carrier USS Guadalcanal, which captured the German U-boat U-505 and its secret code machine known as the enigma machine. Thus, helping to break the German cipher code and helped to gain the upper hand on the Germans during WWII.
USS Frederick during her Olympic cruise
As shipping was scarce after the war the Army and Navy were called on to transport the American athletes to Antwerp. It was decided that the Navy would carry those athletes affiliated with the navy and the Army and civilian athletes would be transported on an Army Transport ship. The Frederick was chosen along with the USS Northern Pacific. But at the last moments the Northern Pacific was not able to make the journey and a last hour stand in was chosen. She was the USS Princess Matoika, a former German ship that had been used to carry troops to France during the war. By now the old Princess was a rotten ship, a veteran of many crossings with troops. So rotten was the ship that the athletes nearly carried out a mutiny aboard. During the war the Frederick had escorted the Princess Matoika across several times.
On July 21 at 7:00 am Frederick got under way from Hampton Roads but within an hour and a half she had to drop anchor due to the very dense fog. But within another hour she was again on her way. July 22nd was payday on board the Frederick and several sporting events were held for the ships company on the voyage to Newport. At 5:00 in the evening the Frederick dropped anchor in the harbor at Newport, RI. Liberty parties were given for the ships company.
On the 23rd seven swimming and running athletes reported aboard ship with the Band. But it was not until the next day on the 24th that the balance of the athletes came on board. At 6:30 in the evening the destroyer USS Thomas (DD182) came along side and transferred the athletes to the Frederick. As the athletes settled into there quarters aboard ship reporters came on board to record the events. On the 25th several more reporters were on board the ship to take pictures of the athletes during training and the Frederick’s crew watched and cheered them on for the reporters as they took pictures. There were about 100 athletes and several coaches and trainers aboard the Frederick for the cruise. One of the coaches was Richard A. Glendon who was the coach of the Navy rowing team. Glendon coached the Navy Crew from 1904-1923 and again from 1927-1931. Under Glendon’s hand the Navy Crew won the Gold Medal beating England in the 1920 Olympics. Finally, on the 25th of July at 1:45 in the afternoon the Frederick with her athletes got under way for the trip to Antwerp. Later that evening at sea there were movies shown on the quarterdeck.
The first full day at sea started at 5:30 in the morning as the athletes awoke to the sound of revile. The ships crew was busy airing bedding and routine work of a ship at sea. But there was not work all the time as a band concert was held on the quarterdeck. On July 28, Quarters were sounded and the athletes were assigned to their abandon ship station. And on the next day there were abandon ship drills and a bag inspection held at 2:00 in the afternoon. And by 8:00 that evening the band held another concert.
As the voyage progressed across the Atlantic the routines of the ship set in. July 30 was one such day as the Captain held an inspection of the ship and on the 31st the Captain held a crew inspection at 9:30 in the morning. But there was time for sporting events as boxing bouts were held on the quarterdeck and band concerts and movies in the evening. August 1st was on a Sunday and this was declared recreation day. There may have been several quartets of sailors aboard who thought they sounded well but as one sailor recounted in his log, that may have not been the case to everyone… “One of the many ‘Agony Quartets’ exercised at the piano most of the day.” And like most evenings there were movies shown on deck. And the next two days were filled with as much routine as the previous days such as Fire and Collision drills on Monday and airing bedding on Tuesday. Also on Tuesday the 3rd of August the entire crew was vaccinated for smallpox.
On Wednesday rumors ran wild among the crew as it was being reported that five or more days’ leave would be permitted while the Frederick was in Antwerp for the Olympic games. But before there would be any leave the Frederick needed to look spotless. So, work parties were ordered and chipping paint and painting was the order of the day. All work stopped at 8:00 that evening as the first rough weather was encountered on the trip. On August 5 land was spotted for the first time in ten days, as all hands were busy painting the ship.
At 4:00 in the morning on Friday August 6 the Frederick stopped and took on board the local river pilot. As revile was being sounded most of the men were already up and looking at the city of Flushing, Holland. As the river pilot guided the Frederick towards the Scheldt River they dropped anchor at 6:30 that morning to wait due to their arrival was at low tide in the river. Antwerp was another 45 miles down the Scheldt and at 3:30 that afternoon the Frederick was again on her way, and by 7:00 that evening she was moored at the dock in Antwerp. The normal naval courtesies were exchanged when the Frederick was tied up. The trip from Newport to Antwerp was 3,385 miles.
The Frederick remained at the dock for the rest of the month and the crew enjoyed many liberty parties in and around Antwerp and some went as far as Paris and also to visit the battlefields and pay respects to fallen comrades. She remained there until August 30 when the State Department requested that the Frederick be present in Rotterdam, Holland to help the Dutch people celebrate the 300th Anniversary of the “Pilgrim Fathers” which is a celebration held in high regards of the Dutch. At 3:30 in the morning on August 30 Frederick started her journey to Rotterdam and by 5:00 that evening she was tied up on the Holland-American Steamship dock. The next day was August 31, which was Queen Wilhelmina’s birthday and the city was alive with celebrations and the Frederick was fully dressed for the occasion. On September 1, a large number of the crew were given “one o’clock Liberty” as many wanted to visit “The Hague” and orders were read out to the crew that no fares were required to travel about the city on the trolley cars. During this time, the Frederick was host to a great many Dutch visitors who came on board. On September 3, Liberties were stopped as the Frederick was making preparation for sea again. And on September 4 at 3:00 in the morning she steamed out of Rotterdam where she arrived back in Antwerp at 7:00 that evening.
At 10:20 on the evening of September 9, 1920 the Pittsburgh ran aground on some rocks 3-miles off the port of Libau near the breakwater. This is the present-day city of Liepaja, Latvia and Libau was the name used during the German occupations of WWI. In a dispatch from Admiral Huse the Pittsburgh was in “no immediate danger” but several sections of her double bottom were flooded. As soon as the Navy Department was advised they sent a dispatch to the USS Frederick, which was then stationed in Antwerp, Belgium. The Frederick was to disembark her Olympic passengers and precede at best possible speed to render assistance to the Pittsburgh. Frederick got underway at noon on the 10th of September heading down the Scheldt River. On September 11 at 4:30 in the evening she picked up a German Pilot at the mouth of the Elbe River and at 6:30 that evening she dropped anchor at Cruxhaven, Germany to wait for high tide. She was again underway at 10:30 that evening and by midnight she was at anchor on the western end of the Kiel Canal at Brunsbuttel, Germany. On September 12 at 3:30 in the morning she passed through the locks and continued on down the Kiel. But about 7:00 that morning while she was passing under a railroad bridge across the Kiel Canal, she was taller that the height of the bridge. Both topmasts crashed into the bottom of the bridge and fell to the deck ripping off the wireless antenna. This created a commotion among the crew but the Frederick carried on just the same and by 4:30 that afternoon she passed out of the Kiel Canal. Now on September 13 she was steaming in open water at 14 knots with her “Burney Otter” paravanes over the side as she was passing through an area of German Mine fields.
At 7:30 on the 14th of September the Frederick was just outside the breakwater off Libau where she found the Pittsburgh afloat with the HMS Dauntless standing by her. On the 18th the Pittsburgh off loaded her ammunition to the Frederick. That evening at 8:00 PM a smoker was held on the deck of the Frederick in which Vice Admiral Huse and his staff were the guests. Two three-round boxing bouts were held and the final bout was a six-round bout of Browne vs. Crosby, both of the Frederick’s engineer force. Crosby was the winner. Movies were then shown on the quarterdeck. On the morning of the 19th of September at 7:30 the Pittsburgh got underway steaming at 8 knots with the Frederick following astern acting as her escort. Both ships steamed to Sheerness, England where the Pittsburgh went into dry-dock for repairs. On the 21st both the Pittsburgh and the Frederick were waiting at the eastern end of the Kiel Canal anchored at Holtenau, Germany. By 9:00 that morning with German Pilots at the wheel both ships passed into the canal. By 8:30 that evening they were at the western end of the Kiel Canal at the locks at Brunsbuttel, Germany finally into the open waters of the North Sea.
Pittsburgh and Frederick reached the mouth of the Thames River at 5:00 in the morning of the 23rd and reached Sheerness at 10:00 that morning. Frederick was moored to a buoy as the Pittsburgh was tended to. Frederick remained moored to the buoy from September 23 through September 30. While she was there Liberty parties were taken to London and Chatham, England. Also during the stay Frederick re-coaled. During the stay in Sheerness one of the Frederick’s crew, Charles W. Cadel, MM1c died while in the Naval Hospital at Gillingham, England. His body was returned to the Frederick and would be transported back on the ship.
At 3:30 on the afternoon of September 30, 1920 Frederick got underway from Sheerness bound for the States. For the next 5 days the weather was horrible and made for little or no progress of the Frederick to her destination. Finally on October 13, 1920 Frederick arrived at the Philadelphia Navy yard. The Naval Reserves who were brought on just for this cruise were then paid off and so ended a summer of a lifetime.
At the end of that year she returned to the Pacific Fleet. Serving as flagship of the Train, Pacific Fleet, for the next year, she conducted only one lengthy cruise, to South America in March of 1921.
For Memorial Day of 1921 the Frederick was back in San Francisco. Aboard the ship on Monday May 30, 1921, a special Memorial Day celebration is held. Local citizens and several Civil War Veterans are invited aboard the Frederick for a wreath laying ceremony. Among the distinguished Civil War Veterans are Joseph Balthasar Niderost and James H. Riley, who were among the honored guests that cast the wreaths into the sea to Honor the departed Heroes of our Nation.
Joseph Balthasar Niderost was born in 1846 in Switzerland and came to America in 1864, serving as an Ordinary Seaman in the Union Navy serving under Rear Admiral David G. Farragut. In 1864 as Farragut was lashed to the rigging of his flagship the USS Hartford during the battle of Mobile Bay, Farragut shouted his famous words, "What's the trouble" shouting through a trumpet to the nearby USS Brooklyn. "Torpedoes", was the shouted reply. "Damn the torpedoes" came back Farragut’s famous reply. Niderost died later that year on December 18, 1921 and was buried in the San Francisco National Cemetery.
James H. Riley also served in the Union Navy during the Civil War and served with Commodore Matthew Perry, USN during the opening of Japanese ports to American trade in 1852-1855. Riley would pass away on April 17, 1922 and was buried in the San Francisco National Cemetery.
Photo taken aboard the USS Frederick May 30, 1921 during the Memorial Day Celebration held on the stern under the canopy.
Crew of the Frederick firing salutes from the Frederick’s saluting gun.
Honored guests preparing to toss wreaths into the sea in honor of our departed National Heroes.
This is a photo of Joseph Balthaser Neiderost, Civil War Veteran laying a wreath into the sea.
Civil War Veteran James H. Riley, laying a wreath in honor of America’s Heroes.
An unidentified man with a woman wearing a black veil tossing a wreath into the sea.
In June of 1921 Photographer Amy Engan takes a few photos of the Frederick as she is standing in the Willamette River in Portland, Oregon during the annual Rose Festival celebration. Engan photographs the Frederick in the river and also goes on board and takes several on board photos.
During the summer of 1921 the Frederick was used as a film set. The movie was a silent film named “A Sailor Made Man” and was the first full-length film of the famous actor Harold Lloyd. Fred C. Newmeyer directed the film, and the cast starred Mildred Davis, Harold Lloyd, Hal Roach, Dick Sutherland and Noah Young.
In this film, Harold Lloyd plays a rich playboy who falls for Mildred Davis (who became his wife in real life). Mildred's father says he must prove himself worthy of her and so he joins the US Navy. The shipboard scenes on the Frederick used the real-life crew as extras. Noah Young plays a tough sailor named Rough House O'Rafferty who Harold shares a cabin with. Rough House O'Rafferty, gets angered by Harold and chases him round the ship. Some sailors are dancing on deck and O'Rafferty takes hold of Harold and starts shaking him by the neck. Harold gets away from him and O'Rafferty is about to grab him by the neck again when the Captain steps in. O'Rafferty backs down very meekly. Harold continues running around the ship and passes the ships boxing champion at sparring practice. A crewman who has been swabbing the deck has left a cake of soap lying on the deck. Harold slips on it, his fist goes flying out and he inadvertently knocks out the boxing champion. O'Rafferty sees the champion lying flat out on the deck and he's so impressed at the idea of Harold knocking out the champion he becomes Harold's friend and they go on shore leave together. The rest of the film mainly concerns Harold rescuing Mildred from an evil Maharajah.
In the October 29, 1921 issue of the Camera (Vol. 4 No. 29 pg 8), a trade publication, there is a mention of the showing of Harold Lloyd's latest comedy, “A Sailor Made Man,” on the deck of the USS Frederick, which was followed by a dinner party given by the officers of the Frederick. Attending the dinner party were Mr. and Mrs. Hal E. Roach, Harold Lloyd and his mother, Mildred Davis and her mother, Mr. and Mrs. Fred Newmeyer, Mr. and Mrs. Jean Havez, Mr. and Mrs. H. M. Walker, Mr. and Mrs. T. J. Crizer and "Red" Golden.
Operations off the west coast took up the remainder of the Frederick’s active duty career and on 14 February 1922 she decommissioned and entered the Reserve Fleet at Mare Island. She was struck from the Naval Register 13 November 1929 and sold 11 February 1930.
When the USS Frederick was scrapped her great bronze bell that hung outside the bridge was removed and saved. This bell was cast in 1903 and inscribed with her former name of USS Maryland. This bell was stored by the Navy and set awaiting a new life. On 28 July 1942 a new ship was launched, which carried the name USS Baltimore (CA-68). The Baltimore was a new heavy cruiser being launched from the Bethlehem Steel Shipyard on the Fore River in Massachusetts. As the Baltimore slid down the ways she carried mounded on her bridge the ships bell from the USS Maryland. As the Baltimore was completed and commissioned on 15 April 1943 she carried the bell of the Maryland into battle first in the invasion of Makin Island in November of 1943 and then 11 more separate actions in the Pacific during 1944. The USS Baltimore was awarded nine battle stars during World War II and had the honor of transporting President Franklin Roosevelt to Hawaii and Alaska during July and August of 1944. Following the end of the career of the Baltimore she was decommissioned in 1956 after a long and distinguished service. Again as the Baltimore was being scrapped the great bronze bell of the USS Maryland was again saved and in 1984 it found a new home. U. S. Senator Charles Mac Mathias of Maryland and Baltimore Mayor William Donald Schaeffer obtained the bell and placed it in the University of Baltimore. It has now been moved again and now resides in the northeast corner of the main floor in the Langsdale Library on the University of Baltimore campus and can be seen through the glass from both Maryland Avenue and Oliver Street.
The Maryland’s bell was not the only thing that was saved from the Frederick when she was broken up. Charley Carter of Alameda, California for over 31-years worked on building the ship of his dreams. She was a 72-foot wooden hull schooner named Talofa. Carter lived the seafarer's life in the Navy during World War I, and under sail for years before that as a youngster, and as a tug-boatman. Charley and his brother Chester Carter modeled the Talofa after a Gloucester fisherman's type of sailing craft, and the Carter brothers began the Talofa, a two-master, in January of 1928.
On July 29, 1959 the un-masted hull lay moored to the Jesse (Tiny) Hembree yacht harbor at 1721 The Embarcadero in San Francisco, California. Charley Carter had run out of money and his dream ship the Talofa was being sold as a Sheriff’s Sale. Deputy Sheriff George Mahi read without emotion from official documents and called for bids. Jesse Hembree gave the one and only bid of $3,278.48 for the unfinished hull, the hull that had been Charley Carters home for the last 31-years. When his bid was accepted, Hembree placed a big palm on Carter's bowed shoulder and said, “Well, you can stay home now and not worry.”
“If some stranger had got her,” Carter mused, rubbing a hand over the teak railing he had fashioned, “I'd have to get off. Now I can really relax.” He pointed to the, succession of turned stanchions that girdle the commodious cockpit. “A lot of hard work in those. Made from timbers we got when they broke up the old USS Frederick, not far from here. The companionway teakwood's from her, too.” “Yes, she's Estuary-supplied, Estuary-born, never left the Estuary in all these years.” Carter shook his head.
It was to be fulfillment of a childhood dream for the brothers who had spent most of their lives at sea. Since their earliest days before the mast, they had planned and talked of the day when, at the helm of their own vessel, they would cruise the Pacific. They would catch sharks and go trading across the broad seas. Their plans, aired during the depression days, attracted a number of willing helpers. The helpers gave time and money to the Talofa effort, but she grew too slowly for youthful horizons, and for limited funds. She never sailed—except on hopes. But for Charley Carter, the hopes and her hull was his home. Even though the re-cycled timbers from the Frederick never sailed on the seas again in the Talofa, they did give rise to many dreams of sailing the high seas to those who gazed upon her stately form.
The bell of the USS Maryland 1905.
This bell served both the USS Maryland/Frederick and the USS Baltimore and has traveled to many distant oceans. Every man who has served on the Maryland/Frederick and the Baltimore knew the sound of this bell. The bell now sets silent but the stories that have taken place where the sound of this bell has rang should never be silenced. Robert Shindle, Project Archivist at the Langsdale Library, University of Baltimore took this photo of the bell.
Written while under the command of her plank holder Captain R. R. Ingersoll. It was written by Helen R. Raymond, and dedicated to the ship, probably on the occasion of her commissioning in 1905.
MARYLAND! OUR MARYLAND!
|The ship we love! we'll drink to thee,
MARYLAND! OUR MARYLAND!
The bravest ship that sails the sea,
MARYLAND! OUR MARYLAND!
By all we love and hold dear,
Oh! bonnie ship we pledge thee here,
MARYLAND! OUR MARYLAND!
In time of war, we'll ever be
MARYLAND! OUR MARYLAND!
Where thou dost lead to victory,
MARYLAND! OUR MARYLAND!
And where thy waving banners fly,
We'll bravely stand or bravely die,
Giving to thee our last goodbye,
MARYLAND! OUR MARYLAND!
|But when the stress of war shall cease,
MARYLAND! OUR MARYLAND!
May we be here to welcome peace,
MARYLAND! OUR MARYLAND!
The battle o'er, we'll gaily sing
A song to make the good ship ring,
While to the breeze our flag we fling,
MARYLAND! OUR MARYLAND!
The bugle's stirring call shall sound,
MARYLAND! OUR MARYLAND!
And with the echoes swift rebound,
MARYLAND! OUR MARYLAND!
From bow to stern the notes shall leap,
While cradled on the rolling deep
Our faithful watches still we keep,
MARYLAND! OUR MARYLAND!
The ship we love, we pledge thee here
MARYLAND! OUR MARYLAND!
By all we love and hold dear,
MARYLAND! OUR MARYLAND!
And still wherever we may be,
Our Loyal hearts will turn to thee,
The proudest ship that sails the sea,
MARYLAND! OUR MARYLAND!
Written by Helen R. Raymond
Photo of the USS Maryland in January 1915, coaling at Bremerton, Washington.
The Maryland's Mascot
The USS Maryland in Dry-Dock 1, at the Charlestown Navy Yard. The Charlestown Navy Yard is located on the Charles River in Boston Mass. Both of these are colored post cards and I believe that this was in 1906 just before she was released from the Atlantic Fleet and transferred to the Pacific Fleet. Established in 1800, Charlestown Navy Yard served the fleet with distinction, especially proving its worth in each of the nations wars, until its closing in 1974. Dry Dock 1, was one of the first two dry docks constructed in the nation.
As I find names of men who sailed this ship I will add them here with what I know of each. If you know additional facts about these men or others who were crew of the USS Maryland/Frederick please e-mail them to: Joe Hartwell
I have had so many profiles of former Maryland/Frederick crewmen that I have had to put them on a second page. Below are the names of each man profiled on the USS Maryland/Frederick Ships Muster page. Each link will take you to the profile of each man.
Robert Restad, USS Frederick Crewman during WWI
Wesley P. Kerr, Fireman 2c, USS Frederick Crewman during WWI
Musician Mario Principale, USS Frederick Crewman during WWI
GM2c Perry E. Ammon, USS Maryland Crewman, 1909
GM2c Walter R. Holdridge, USS Frederick Crewman during WWI
Radioman, Andrew Louis Romagosa, USS Frederick Crewman, 1921
Lt. Charles Doyle Leffler, Jr., USS Frederick Officer during WWI
Seaman Allan Charles "Tommy" Harrington, USS Maryland Crewman, 1914-1916
Quartermaster Fred Sanford Rice, USS Maryland Crewman, 1909-1910
Seaman Joseph Seuffert, USS Maryland Crewman, 1910
Seaman 2c, Ralph DeVille Gummerson, USNR, USS Frederick Crewman during WWI
Commander Stephen Clegg Rowan, USN, Executive Officer of the Frederick during WWI
Gunner's Mate Melver W. Reavis, USS Maryland crewman 1910
Sgt. Joseph L. Doll, USMC, Served aboard the USS Maryland 1911-1914
First Class Musician, Fred L. Larson, USMC, Served aboard the Maryland 1910-1911
This page was created on 16 November 2001 and last updated on
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids