History: Named in honor of Lt. Col. George A. Custer, 7th Cav., U. S. A. (Maj. Gen. U. S. V.), killed in action at Little Big Horn, Mont., 1876. Established, July 18, 1917, to serve as training camp for 85th Div. (N. A.), which occupied the cantonment, Aug. 1917-July 1918. Construction started June 27, 1917 and continued into 1919. The first inducted men reported Sept. 1-15, 1917; the last, Dec. 1-15, 1918. Approximate numbers received from States and other sources : Ala., 2,023 ; Ill., 2,522 ; Ind., 3,309 ; Mich., 65,976 ; Ohio, 604; Pa., 5,336; N. Dak., 3,100; W. Va., 4,186; Wis., 5,956; other camps, 6,887.Designated as demobilization center Dec. 3, 1918. Retained as permanent reservation. Description: Reservation located 5 miles south of Battle Creek, in Calhoun and Kalamazoo Counties. Facilities-Camp Base Hospital: Opened Sept. 5, 1917, in temporary quarters, new buildings being used as rapidly as they became available. Treated all cases arising in camp, and medical, surgical, and venereal cases from overseas. In addition, the Hospital trained personnel for further duty in the Zone of the Interior and overseas. Training Schools: Third Series-In operation, Jan. 5-Apr. 19, 1918. Fourth Series In operation during May and June 1918. See pp. 83, 84. Demobilization Center: Number processed-About 92,000. Facilities: Cantonment of 1,282 buildings. Troop capacity-35,458. Construction costs to June 30, 1919-About $12,964,300. Area-Camp site proper, 5,996 acres; entire reservation, 9,139 acres. Command Status: Commanding officer reported direct to War Department; also exercised jurisdiction of general courts-martial till Sept. 24, 1919.
This page is owned by Joe Hartwell. ©2006
If you have research comments or additional information on this page direct them to: Joe Hartwell
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids