Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

Brief History of Company "H"

24th Georgia Infantry

"The Currahee Rangers"

The Currahee Rangers were formed in September of 1861 near the base of Currahee Mountain near the junction of modern day Banks, Franklin, Habersham, and Stephens Counties in Northeast Georgia. The unit was attached to the 24th Georgia Infantry, being designated as Company "H". The unit saw action in some 48 enguagements during the war including most of the major enguagements after First Mannassus. There were only 3 members of the Currahee Rangers present at the surrender ceremony at Appomattox Courthouse. During the fall of 1863, after the Battle of Gettysburg, General Longstreet brought a detachment of his corp, which included the 24th Georgia, to Georgia to defend the state against the Yankee invasion of Georgia. The 24th Georgia saw action in Knoxville before returning to Virginia. For further information visit an excellent site that is devoted exclusivelly to the 24th Georgia.

This page was last updated 27 January, 2005

Go to the "24th Georgia" Home Page

Return to "The Currahee Rangers" Home Page