Search billions of records on



Brigadier General Benjamin McCulloch

Pearce's Brigade (2,234), Brigadier General N. B. Pearce
1st Arkansas Cavalry, Colonel De Rosey Carroll (350)
Carroll's Cavalry, Captain Charles A. Carroll (40)
3rd Arkansas Infantry, Colonel John R. Gratiot (500)
4th Arkansas Infantry, Colonel J. D. Walker (550)
5th Arkansas Infantry, Colonel Tom P. Dockery (650)
Woodruff's Battery, Captain W E. Woodruff, Jr. (4 guns, 71 men)
Reid's Battery, Captain J. G. Reid (4 guns, 73 men)

McCulloch's Brigade (2,720), Brigadier General Ben McCulloch
3rd Louisiana Infantry, Colonel Louis Hebert (700)
Arkansas Infantry, Lieutenant Colonel Dandridge McRae (220)
1st Arkansas Mounted Rifles, Colonel T. J. Churchill (600)
2nd Arkansas Mounted Rifles, Colonel James McIntosh (400)
South Kansas-Texas Mounted Regiment (3rd Texas Cavalry), Colonel Elkanah Greer (800)

Missouri State Guard (5,221)
Major General Sterling Price

2nd Division (2,526), Brigadier General James S. Rains
Infantry Brigade (1,250), Colonel Richard H. Weightman
1st Missouri State Guard Infantry
2nd Missouri State Guard Infantry
3rd Missouri State Guard Infantry
4th Missouri State Guard Infantry

Cavalry Brigade (1,210), Colonel James Cawthorn
Peyton's Cavalry
McCowan's Cavalry
Hunter's Cavalry

Bledsoe's Battery (3 guns, 66 men), Captain Hiram Bledsoe

3rd Division (573), Brigadier General Charles Clark
Burbridge's Infantry, Colonel John Q. Burbridge (273)
Major's Cavalry, Lieutenant Colonel James P. Major (300)

4th Division (934), Brigadier General William Y. Slack
Hughes Infantry, Colonel John T. Hughes and Thornton's Infantry,
Major C. C. Thornton (650)
Rives' Cavalry, Colonel Benjamin A. Rives (234)

6th Division (601), Brigadier General Monroe M. Parsons
Kelly's Infantry, Colonel Joseph M. Kelly (195)
Brown's Cavalry, Colonel Ben Brown (406)
Guibor's Battery, Captain Henry Guibor (4 guns, 61 men)

7th Division (645), Brigadier General James H. McBride
Wingo's Infantry, Colonel Edmund T. Wingo (300)
Foster's Infantry, Colonel Robert A. Foster (305)
Campbell's Cavalry, Captain Campbell (40)


UNION ARMY (5,600) Brigadier General Nathaniel Lyon

1st Brigade (884), Major Samuel D. Sturgis
1st U.S. Infantry, Captain Joseph B. Plummer (4 cos., 300 men)
2nd Missouri Infantry Battalion, Major Peter J. Osterhaus (150)
Company I, 2nd Kansas Mounted Infantry and Company D, 1st U.S. Cavalry (350)
Company F. 2nd U.S. Artillery, Captain James Totten (6 guns, 84 men)
2nd Brigade (1,200), Colonel Franz Siegel
3rd Missouri Infantry, Lieutenant Colonel Anselm Albert and
5th Missouri Infantry Colonel Charles E. Salomon (990)
Company I, 1st U.S. Cavalry, Captain Eugene A. Carr (65)
Company C, 2nd U.S. Dragoons, 2nd Lieutenant Charles E. Farrand (60)
Backoff's Battery, Lieutenants Edward Schuetzenbach and Frederick Shaefer (6 guns, 85 men)

3rd Brigade (1,116), Lieutenant Colonel George Andrews
1st Missouri Infantry, Lieutenant Colonel George L. Andrews (775)
2nd U.S. Infantry, Captain Frederick Steele (4 cos., 275 men)
Du Bois's Battery, 2nd Lieutenant John V. Du Bois (4 guns, 66 men)

4th Brigade (2,400), Colonel George W. Deitzler
1st Kansas Infantry, Colonel George W. Deitzler (800)
2nd Kansas Infantry, Lieutenant Colonel Charles W. Blair (600)
1st Iowa Infantry, Colonel John F. Bates (800)
Home Guards, Captain Clark Wright (200)

The following are the official reports of the field-officers of the regiment:


Camp at Wilson's Creek, Mo., August 12, 1861.

"To Brigadier Ben. McCulloch, commanding Confederate States Army:

"SIR,---I have the honor to report the part that my regiment took in the battle of Oak Hills on Saturday the 10th. Aroused by yourself early in the morning, I formed my regiment, and following the direction of Captain James McIntosh, Brigadier-Adjutant-General, followed the Springfield road for a short distance to a narrow by-road, banked on both sides by the thickest kind of underbrush, and on one side by a rail fence. This road led to a corn-field. At the moment of deploying into line of battle, and when only two companies had reached their position, the enemy opened their fire on our front within five paces. Deploying the other companies, an advance was ordered, led gallantly and bravely by Captain McIntosh, to whom I owe all thanks for assistance.

"The enemy posted behind a fence in the corn-field. The companies moved up bravely, broke the enemy, pursued them gallantly into the cornfield and routed them completely. On emerging from the corn-field, the regiment found themselves on a naked oat-field, where a battery on the left opened upon us a severe fire. The order was given to fall back to a wooded ground higher up to the right. The order was obeyed, but by some misunderstanding the right of the regiment and some of the left were separated from the left and found themselves under the command of Lieutenant-Colonel Hyams, who there received your order to march to attack Siegel's battery, and command on the left of the field of battle. His report is herewith transmitted, giving an account of the operations of his battalion up to the time of my joining him. I remained myself near the above- named corn-field, rallying and reforming the left into a detachment of some one hundred men. I advanced towards Totten's (enemy's) battery. I advanced to a position some five hundred yards from the battery, where I remained before the line of the enemy some twenty-five or thirty minutes, when, falling back, I again rallied some stray portions of the regiment, and marched, by orders, to join the right wing on the left of the field. This I did; and having reformed the regiment, I received orders to move, so as to place myself in the rear of the enemy's battery (Totten's) then closely engaged in front. Although moving as expeditiously as possible, I did not reach the proper position until Totten's battery had been drawn back in retreat. Some of the enemy still remained on the hill and in a ravine. 1, however, hesitated to attack, having discovered a force immediately in my rear, whom I did not ascertain to be friends for some twenty minutes. I then ordered the advance, attacked the enemy and put them to flight.. In this the regiment was very gallantly assisted by a detachment of Missourians and others, whom I then supposed to be under the immediate command of Captain Johnson This fight ended the engagement of my regiment for the day. The Regiment was formed on the hill previously occupied by the enemy, and, by orders, was marched back to their camp. The first of the engagement of the regiment commenced at 6 o'clock A.M. and ended at 1 o'clock P.M., when the enemy made their final retreat. I transmit a list of the killed, wounded and missing, recapitulating as follows: Killed, 1 commissioned officer, 1 non- commissioned officer and 7 privates; total killed, 9. Wounded, 3 commissioned officers, 6 non-commissioned officers and 39 privates; total, 48. Missing, 3 privates.

"Proud of the manner in which my regiment behaved in their first fight against the enemy of our Confederate States (a fight in which officers and men displayed endurance, bravery and determination), it is difficult for me to particularize the service of officers and men. I will, however, bring to the notice of the Commanding General some cases. The whole of my staff acted with great coolness and bravery; the Lieutenant-Colonel leading a battalion, in my absence, against Siegel's battery, and the Major assisting constantly in the rear wing. Captain Theodore Johnston, Quartermaster, was of invaluable service in transmitting orders, rallying the men and encouraging them to stand by their colors, often exposing himself to the fire of the enemy. Adjutant S. M. Hyams, Jr., left his horse and fought bravely on foot. Captain Thomas L. Maxwell, Commissary, followed the regiment in battle, and assisted much in rallying the men. The lamented Captain, R. M. Hinson, fell while gallantly leading his company against Siegel's battery. A nobler gentleman and a braver soldier could not have been found. Sergeant-Major J. O. Renwick was shot down in my presence in the first fight whilst bravely fronting and fighting the enemy. He was the first killed of the regiment. Dr. George W. Kendall, a volunteer surgeon on the field, was active and untiring in his exertions to relieve the wounded. In the reports of Company Commanders, many acts of bravery and gallantry by non-commissioned officers and privates are mentioned.

With the consent of the General, I shall seek hereafter occasions to show that their conduct has been noticed. I can not conclude without saying that the conduct of Captain James McIntosh, in throwing himself with my regiment in our first fight, and in the attack on Siegel's battery, greatly contributed to the success of our arms, and deserves unlimited praise.

"I must not forget also to return to the Commanding General himself the thanks of the regiment and for my own for his presence at the head of the right wing at the charge of Siegel's battery.

With high respect, I remain, your obedient servant.

"LOUIS HEBERT, Colonel Commanding."


Report of Lieutenant-Colonel Hyams to Colonel Hebert, of Third Louisiana Regiment:

Sir,---In the morning of the 10th of August, 1861, after forming with the regiment and marching to the thicket and corn-field, and your command on the order of a charge in the thicket, I dismounted and was on foot with the command in the charge. The Sergeant-Major Renwick was killed, as was private Placide Bossier, of Pelican Rangers, No. 1. After crossing the fencing and running the enemy through the corn-field, where the enemy's artillery were showering grape and shell, with minnie muskets, I was met by General McCulloch, who ordered the regiment to face to the right and march by flank movement towards the creek, and sent an aid to communicate the order to you further on the right of the regiment.

"In the first encounter in the bushes, where all behaved well, it was impossible to designate any particular individual. Here I first noticed the fearlessness and undaunted bravery and activity of Captain Theodore Johnson, Quartermaster, in communicating orders from headquarters.

"Learning from him that you were separated from the command, he attached himself to that portion of the regiment under me, composed of the Pelican Rifles, Captain Viglini; Iberville Grays, Lieutenant Verbois; Morehouse Guards, Captain Hinson; Pelican Rangers, No. 2, Captain Blair; Winn Rifles, Captain Pierson; Morehouse Fencibles, Captain Harris; Shreveport Rangers, Captain Gilmore; Pelican Rangers No. 1, Captain Brazeale; and a few of the Monticello Rifles under Sergeant Walcott, and seventy of the Missouri troops (who had attached themselves to my command) under Captain Johnson. We were conducted by the gallant Captain McIntosh across the ford to Siegel's battery where, having deployed in line, the charge was ordered. On my giving the order and arriving on the brow of the hill Lieutenant Lacy, of the Shreveport Rangers, sprang on a log, waved his sword and caned, "Come on, Caddo." The whole command pushed forward, carried the guard, rushed to the fence and drove the enemy off. Here the gallant Captain Hinson, in cheering his men, was killed by a shot from our own battery taking us in flank. Private Whitstone, of the Morehouse Guards (brother-in-law of Captain Hinson), was killed at his side by the same shot. I cannot speak in too high commendation of both officers and men for their coolness and bravery. They had charged and taken five guns out of six of the battery, and passed beyond them without knowing we had them, except those companies immediately in front of the guns.

"The standard-bearer of the regiment, Felix Chaler, of Pelican Rangers, No. 1, behaved with great coolness and courage, advancing and bearing them to the front in every charge. Corporal Hicock, of the Shreveport Rangers, Private J. P. Hyams, of Pelican Rangers, No. 1, and Corporal Gendes, of Pelican Rifles, rushed forward and captured one cannon that was just in rear of the first guns captured (about one hundred yards), where they killed the only man who remained with his gun. the rest of the cannoneers having abandoned the gun at their approach.

"Orderly Sergeant Alphonse Prudhomme is reported to have cheered and acted with coolness. The Color Company stuck to the colors, as did the Shreveport Rangers, and all rallied to the flag. I cannot speak too highly of the courage and activity of ad our gallant officers and men in this charge. It is impossible to say which company was in advance, where all obeyed orders and went so gallantly into action. But for the unfortunate casualty created by our own battery firing into our flank and raking us, killing several and wounding many, we would have had but few regrets.

"Poor Hicock, having advanced in front of the regiment in driving the enemy from the corn-field round the large white house, was shot in the breast. Here I beg to call attention to the gallantry of Captain McIntosh, who conducted us to the front of the attack. Quartermaster Theodore Johnson, of our regiment, was of great assistance, and behaved with distinguished bravery. We rolled their captured guns down the hill, and one cannon was conducted with its horses to our artillery. We then marched back to the valley below the hill, and were in line when you joined us with the rest of the regiment. Drum-Major Patterson, of the Pelican Rifles, left his drum, shot the first man of the enemy, after calling themselves friends, thereby stopping our fire and their treacherously firing upon us.

"I am, respectfully, your obedient servant,

''S. M. HYAMS, Lieut.-Colonel Third Regt. La. Vols."



"Colonel L. Hebert, commanding Third Regiment La. Volunteers:

"SIR,---in accordance with your request I have the honor to make the following report of events that occurred under my immediate notice in the battle of Oak Hills:

"When the regiment was ordered to form at 6 A.M., I assisted in getting the companies in line, and marched out of camp with the left wing, the enemy's batteries having opened on our forces before we left camp. We marched out to the right, and by order of Adjutant-General McIntosh, I assisted in deploying the regiment in a thick oak under-brush to the left of the road, and before we were in the field ten minutes we were fired on by the enemy, I ,800 strong, who were ambushed in a comfield behind a fence. After exchanging several shots with them, and a number of our men being killed and wounded, an order to charge was given by Colonel McIntosh, which was immediately responded to by our men with a cheer and shout. On rushing to the fence, the enemy immediately turned and fled in disorder, our regiment pursuing and shooting them as they ran. In this pursuit I was with the left wing, cheering them on until we reached an open field, where we found the enemy protected by Totten's battery, which at once opened on us as we attempted to form. I immediately ordered the regiment to scatter and move to the right, where, under cover of a hill, with the assistance of Captain Maxwell, the line was formed. While I was engaged in getting our scattered forces together in line General McCulloch rode up and led off the right to attack Siegel's battery, and I found the left companies, with a large number of the right wing, had become separated from the right in passing through the bushes. We marched on to join the right of the Regiment. In crossing the ford in the valley, we received a discharge of grape and canister from Siegel's battery, which wounded several of the men and shot my horse. I then led the detachment on foot, the battery having been taken and the enemy again repulsed by the wing and in full retreat before we joined the regiment. The regiment being formed, marched out under your command to attack Totten's battery. On arriving at the point of attack, we found the battery removed and the enemy in full retreat, except a reserve, which fired several shots at us, which were promptly returned. This ended the battle for the day. An accidental discharge of a musket by one of our men wounded three of our number, one very severely.

"In each engagement our men behaved gallantly, and under the severe fire of the batteries, that poured a continual shower of grape, shot and shell, they never faltered.

"I have the honor to be, yours respectfully, etc.,

"W. F. TUNNARD. Major, Third Regiment La. Vols."


Springfield, August 15 1861.

"COLONEL,---General Price instructs me to say that the discipline and bravery which your regiment displayed in the late battle were so marked, and your services and theirs so efficient in winning that important victory, that he would fail in his duty were he not to express to you and to them his own high appreciation of the distinguished services of the Louisiana Regiment on that occasion, and the gratitude with which the officers and men of this army and the people of Missouri will always remember you, your officers and men.

"I have the honor to be, with the greatest respect,
"Your obedient servant,

THOMAS L. SMEAL, Acting Adjutant-General.

"To Colonel L. Hebert, Louisiana Regiment. "
Louis HEBERT. Colonel Third Regiment. La. Vols.



Springfield, August 12, 1861.

"To his Excellency CLAIBORNE F. JACKSON, Governor of the State of Missouri: I have the honor to submit to your Excellency the following report of the operations of the army under my command, at and immediately preceding the battle of Springfield.

I began to move my command from its encampment on Cowskin Prairie, in McDonald County, on the 25th of July, towards Cassville, in Barry County, at which place it had been agreed between Generals McCulloch, Pearce and myself, that our respective forces, together with those of Brigadier-General McBride should be concentrated preparatory to a forward movement. We reached Cassville on Sunday, the 28th of July, and on the next day effected a junction with the armies of Generals McCulloch and Pearce.

The combined armies were then put under marching orders, and the First Division, General McCulloch commanding, left Cassville on the 1ST of July, upon the road to this city. The Second Division, under General Pearce of Arkansas, left on the 1ST day of August; and the Third Division, Brigadier General Steen of this State commanding, left on the 2d day of August. I went forward with the Second Division, which embraced the greater portion of my infantry, and encamped with it some twelve miles northwest of Cassville. The next morning a messenger from General McCulloch informed me that he had reason to believe that the enemy were in force on the road to Springfield, and that he should remain at his then encampment on Crane Creek until the Second and Third Divisions of the army had come up. The Second Division consequently moved forward to Crane Creek, and I ordered the Third Division to a position within three miles of the same place.

The advance guard of the army, consisting of six companies of mounted Missourians, under command of Brigadier-General Rains as at that time, (Friday, August 2d,) encamped on the Springfield road about five miles beyond Crane Creek. About 9 o'clock A.M., of that day, General Rains' pickets reported to him that they had been driven in by the enemy's advance guard, and that officer immediately led forward his whole force, amounting to nearly 400 men, until he found the enemy in position, some three miles on the road. He sent back at once to General McCulloch for reinforcements, and Colonel McIntosh, C. S. A., was sent forward with I 5 men; but a reconnaissance of the ground having satisfied the latter that the enemy did not have more than 150 men on the ground, he withdrew his men and returned to Crane Creek. General Rains soon discovered, however, that he was in presence of the main body of the enemy, numbering, according to his estimate, more than 5,000 men, with eight pieces of artillery, and supported by a considerable body of cavalry. A severe skirmish ensued, which lasted several hours, until the enemy opened their batteries and compelled our troops to retire. In this engagement the greater portion of General Rains' command, and especially that part which acted as infantry, behaved with great gallantry, as the result demonstrates; for our loss was only one killed (Lieutenant Northcut) and five wounded, while five of the enemy's dead were buried on the field, and a large number are known to have been wounded.

Our whole forces were concentrated the next day near Crane Creek, and during the same night the Texan Regiment, under Colonel Greer, came up within a few miles of the same place.

Reasons which will be hereafter assigned, induced me, on Sunday, the 4th inst., to put the Missouri forces, under the direction, for the time being, of General McCulloch, who accordingly assumed the command-in-chief of the combined armies. A little after midnight we took up the line of march, leaving our baggage trains, and expecting to find the enemy near the scene of the late skirmish, but we found, as we advanced, that they were retreating rapidly towards Springfield. We followed them hastily about seventeen miles, to a place known as Moody's Spring, where we were compelled to halt our forces, who were already exhausted by the intense heat of the weather, and the dustiness of the roads.

Early the next morning we moved forward to Wilson's Creek, ten miles southwest of Springfield, where we encamped. Our forces were here put in readiness to meet the enemy, who were posted at Springfield to the number of about 10,000. It was finally decided to march against them; and on Friday afternoon orders were issued to march in four separate columns. at 9 o'clock that night, so as to surround the city and begin a simultaneous attack at daybreak. The darkness of the night and a threatened storm caused General McCulloch, just as the army was about to march, to countermand this order, and to direct that the troops should hold themselves in readiness to move whenever ordered. Our men were consequently kept under arms till towards daybreak, expecting momentarily an order to march. The morning of Saturday, August 10, found them still encamped at Wilson's Creek, fatigued by a night's watching and loss of rest.

About 6 o'clock I received a messenger from General Rains that the enemy were advancing in great force from the direction of Springfield, and were already within 200 or 300 yards of the position, where he was encamped with the Second Brigade of his Division, consisting of about 1,200 mounted men under Colonel Cawthorn. A second messenger came immediately afterwards from General Rains to announce that the main body of the enemy was upon him, but that he would endeavor to hold them in check until he could receive reinforcements. General McCulloch was with me when these messengers came, and left at once for his own headquarters to make the necessary disposition of our forces.

I rode forward instantly towards General Rains' position, at the same time ordering Generals Slack, McBride, Clark and Parsons to move their infantry and artillery rapidly forward. I had ridden but a few hundred yards when I came suddenly upon the main body of the enemy, commanded by General Lyon in person. The infantry and artillery which I had ordered to follow me came up immediately to the number of 2,036 men, and engaged the enemy. A severe and bloody conflict ensued, my officers and men behaving with the greatest bravery, and, with the assistance of a portion of the Confederate forces, successfully holding the enemy in check. Meanwhile, and almost simultaneously with the opening of the enemy's batteries in this quarter, a heavy cannonading was opened upon the rear of our position, where a large body of the enemy under Colonel Siegel had taken position in close proximity to Colonel Churchill's Regiment, Colonel Greer's Texan Rangers and 679 mounted Missourians, under command of Colonel Brown and Lieutenant-Colonel Major.

The action now became general, and was conducted with the greatest gallantry and vigor on both sides for more than five hours, when the enemy retreated in great confusion, leaving their Commander-in-Chief, General Lyon, dead upon the battle field, over 500 killed, and a great number wounded.

The forces under my command have possession of three twelve-pounder howitzers, two brass six-pounders, and a great quantity of small arms and ammunition, taken from the enemy; also, the standard of Siegel's Regiment, captured by Captain Staples. They have also a large number of prisoners. The brilliant victory thus achieved upon this hard fought field was won only by the most determined bravery and distinguished gallantly of the combined armies, which fought nobly side by side in defense of their common rights and liberties, with as much courage and constancy as were ever exhibited upon any battle field.

Where all behaved so well, it is invidious to make any distinction, but I cannot refrain from expressing my sense of the splendid services rendered, under my own eyes, by the Arkansas Infantry, under General Pearce, the Louisiana Regiment of Colonel Hebert, and Colonel Churchill's Regiment of Mounted Riflemen. These gallant officers and their brave soldiers won upon that day the lasting gratitude of every true Missourian.

This great victory was dearly bought by the blood of many a skillful officer and brave man. Others will report the losses sustained by the Confederate forces; I shall willingly confine myself to the losses within my own army.

Among those who fell mortally wounded upon the battle field, none deserves a dearer place in the memory of Missourians than Richard Hanson Weightman, Colonel commanding the First Brigade of the Second Division of the army. Taking up arms at the very beginning of this unhappy contest, he had already done distinguished services at the battle of Rock Creek, where he commanded the State forces after the death of the lamented Holloway; and at Carthage, where he won unfading laurels by the d splay of extraordinary coolness, courage and skill. He fell at the head of his brigade, wounded in three places, and died just as the victorious shouts of our army began to rise upon the air.

Here, too, died, in the discharge of his duty, Colonel Benjamin Brown of Ray County, President of the Senate, a good man and true.

Brigadier-General Shick's Division suffered severely. He himself fell, dangerously wounded, at the head of his column. Of his regiment of infantry, under Colonel John T. Hughes, consisting of about 650 men, thirty-six were killed, seventy-six wounded, many of them mortally, and thirty are missing Among the killed were C. H. Bennet, Adjutant of the regiment, Captain Blackwell and Lieutenant Hughes. Colonel Rives' squadron of cavalry, (dismounted) numbering some 234 men, lost four killed and eight wounded Among the former were Lieutenant-Colonel Austin and Captain Engart.

Brigadier-General Clark was also wounded. His infantry (290 men) lost, in killed seventeen, and wounded 71 . Colonel Burbridge was severely wounded. Captains Farris and Halleck and Lieutenant Haskins were killed. General Clark's cavalry, together with the Windsor Guards, were under the command of Lieutenant-Colonel Major, who did good service. They lost six killed and five wounded.

Brigadier-General McBride's Division (605 men) lost twenty-two killed, sixty-seven severely wounded, and fifty-seven slightly wounded. Colonel Foster and Captains Nichols, Dougherty, Armstrong and Mings were wounded while gallantly leading their respective commands.

General Parsons' Brigadier, 256 infantry and artillery, under command respectively of Colonel Kelly and Captain Guibor, and 406 cavalry, Colonel Brown, lost, the artillery, three killed and seven wounded; the infantry, nine killed and thirty-eight wounded; the cavalry, three killed and two wounded. Colonel Kelly was wounded in the hand. Captain Coleman was mortally wounded, and has since died.

General Rains' Division was composed of two brigades-the first, under Colonel Weightman, embracing infantry and artillery, 1,306 strong, lost, not only their commander, but thirty-four others killed and 111 wounded. The Second Brigade, mounted men, Colonel Cawthorn commanding, about 1,200 men, lost twenty-one killed and seventy-five wounded. Colonel Cawthorn was himself wounded. Major Charles Rogers, of St. Louis, Adjutant of the brigade, was mortally wounded, and died the day after the battle. He was a gallant officer, at all times vigilant and attentive to his duties, and fearless upon the field of battle.

Your Excellency will perceive that our State forces consisted of only 5,221 officers and men; that of these no less than 156 died upon the field, while 517 were wounded. These facts attest more powerfully than any words can, the seventy of the conflict, and the dauntless courage of our brave soldiers.

It is also my painful duty to announce the death of one of my aids, Lieutenant-Colonel George W. Allen, of Saline County. He was shot down while communicating an order, and we left him buried on the field. I have appointed to the position thus sadly vacated, Captain James T. Ceamal, in recognition of his gallant conduct and valuable services throughout the battle, as a Volunteer Aid. Another of my staff, Colonel Horace H. Brand, was made prisoner by the enemy, but has since been released.

My thanks are due to three of your staff, Colonel William M. Cooke, Colonel Richard Gaines, and Colonel Thomas L. Snead, for services which they rendered me as Volunteer Aids, and also to my Aid-de-Camp, Colonel A. W. Jones.

In conclusion, I beg leave to say to your Excellency, that the army under my command, both officers and men, did their duty nobly as became men fighting in defense of their homes and their honor, and that they deserve well of the State.

I have the honor to be, with the greatest respect.
Your Excellency's obedient servant,

Commanding Missouri State Guard.



"Headquarters McCulloch's Brigade,
"Camp Weightman, near Springfield, Mo., Aug. 12, 1861.

"Brig.-Gen. J. Cooper, Adjt.-Gen., C. S. A.

General---I have the honor to make the following official report of the battle of Oak Hills on the 10th inst. Having taken position about ten miles from Springfield, I endeavored to gain the necessary information of the strength and position of the enemy stationed in and about the town. The information was very conflicting and unsatisfactory. I, however, made up my mind to attack the enemy in their position, and issued orders on the 9th inst. to my force to start at 9 o'clock at night to attack at four different points at daylight. A few days before, Gen. Price, in command of the Missouri forces, turned over his command to me, and I assumed command of the entire force, comprising my own brigade, the brigade of Arkansas State forces under Gen. Pearce, and Gen. Price's command of Missourians. My effective force was 5,300 infantry, fifteen pieces of artillery, and 6,000 horseman armed with flint-lock muskets, rifles, and shot-guns. There were other horseman with the army who were entirely unarmed, and instead of being a help, were continually in the way. When the time arrived for the night march, it began to rain slightly, and fearing, from the want of cartridge-boxes, that my ammunition would be ruined, I ordered the movement to be stopped, hoping to move the next morning. My men had twenty-five rounds of cartridges apiece, and there was no more to be had. While still hesitating in the morning, the enemy was reported advancing, and I made arrangements to meet him. The attack was made simultaneously at half- past 5 A. M. on our right and left flanks, and the enemy had gained the position they desired.

Gen. Lyon attacked us on our left, and Gen. Siegal on our right and rear. From theses points batteries opened on us. My command was soon ready. The Missourians, under Gens. Slack, McBride, Parsons, and Rains, were nearest to the position taken by Gen Lyon with his main force; they were instantly turned to the left, and opened the battle with an incessant fire of small-arms. Woodruff opposed his battery to the battery of the enemy under Capt. Totton, and a constant cannonading was kept up between these batteries during the engagement. Hebert's regiment of Louisiana Volunteers and McIntosh's regiment of Arkansas Mounted Riflemen were ordered to the front, and after passing the battery (Totten's), turned to the left and soon engaged the enemy with the regiments deployed. Col. McIntosh dismounted his regiment, and the two marched up abreast to a fence around a large corn-field, where they met the left of the enemy already posted. A terrible conflict of small-arms took place here. The opposing force was a body of regular United States Infantry, commanded by Capts. Plummer and Gilbert.

Notwithstanding the galling fire poured on these two regiments, they leaped over the fence, and gallantly led by their colonels, drove the enemy before them back upon the main body. During this time the Missourians under General Price were nobly attempting to sustain themselves in the center, and were nobly engaged on the sides of the heights upon which the enemy were posted. Far on the right Siegel had opened his battery upon Churchill's and Greer's regiments, and had gradually made his way to the Springfield road, upon each side of which the army was encamped, and in a prominent position he established his battery. I at once took two companies of the Louisiana regiment who were nearest me and marched them rapidly from the front and right to the rear, with order to Colonel McIntosh to bring up the rest. When we arrived near the enemy's battery, we found that Reid's battery had opened upon it, and it was already in confusion. Advantage was taken of it, and soon the Louisianians were gallantly charging among the guns and swept the cannoneers away. Five guns were here taken, and Siegel's command, completely routed, were in rapid retreat with a single gun, followed by some companies of the Texan regiment and a portion of Colonel Major's Missouri cavalry. In the pursuit many of the enemy were killed and taken prisoners, and their last gun captured.

Having cleared our right and rear, it was necessary to turn all our attention to the center, under General Lyon, who was pressing upon the Missourians, having driven them back. To this point Mclntosh's regiment, under Lieut. Colonel Embry, and Churchill's regiment on foot, and Gratiot's regiment, and McRae's battalion, were sent to their aid.

The terrible fire of musketry was now kept up along the whole side and top of the hill upon which the enemy was posted. Masses of infantry fell back and again rushed forward. The summit of the hill was covered with the dead and wounded-both sides were fighting with desperation for the day. Carroll's and Greer's regiments, led gallantly by Captain Bradfute, charged the battery, but the whole strength of the enemy was immediately in the rear, and a deadly fire was opened upon them. At this critical point, when the fortune of the day seemed to be at the turning-point, two regiments of General Pearce's brigade were ordered to march from their position (as reserves) to support the center. The order was obeyed with alacrity, and General Pearce gallantly rushed with his brigade to the rescue. Reid's battery was also ordered to move forward, and the Louisiana regiment was again called into action on the left of it. The battle then became general, and probably no two opposing forces ever fought with greater desperation; inch by inch the enemy gave way and were driven from their position. Totten's battery fell back; Missourians, Arkansians, Louisianians, and Texans pushed forward. The incessant roll of musketry was deafening, and the balls fell as thick as hail-stones; but still our gallant Southerners pushed onward and with one wild yell broke upon the enemy, pushing them back and strewing the ground wide their dead. Nothing could withstand the impetuosity of our final charge; the enemy fled, and could not be rallied again, and they were last seen at 12 M., retreating among the hills in the distance. Thus ended the battle. It lasted six hours and a half.

The force of the enemy, between nine and ten thousand, was composed of well-disciplined troops, well armed, and a large part of them belonging to the old army of the United States.

With every advantage on their side, they have met with a signal repulse. The loss of the enemy is at least 800 killed, 1,000 wounded and 300 prisoners. We captured six pieces of artillery, and several hundred stand of small arms, and several of their standards.

Major-General Lyon, chief in command, was killed. Many of the officers high in rank were wounded. Our loss was also severe, and we mourn the death of many a gallant officer and soldier. Our killed amount to 265; 800 wounded, and 30 missing. Colonel Weightman fell at the head of his brigade of Missourians, while gallantly charging upon the enemy. His place cannot be easily filled. Generals Slack and Clark, of Missouri, were severely wounded, General Price sightly. Captain Hinson, of the Louisiana regiment, Captain McAlexander, of Churchill's regiment, Capts. Bell and Brown, of Pearce's brigade, Lieuts. Walton and Weaver all fell while nobly and gallantly doing their duty. Colonel McIntosh was slightly wounded by a grape-shot, while charging with the Louisiana regiment; Lieut.-Colonel Neal, Major H. Ward, Capts. King, Pearsons, Gibbs, Ramsaur, Porter, Lieuts. Dawson, Chambers, Johnson, King, Adams, Hardista, Mclvor, and Saddler were wounded while at the head of their companies.

Where all were doing their duty so gallantly it is almost unfair to discriminate. I must, however, bring to your notice the gallant conduct of the Missouri Generals McBride, Parsons, Clark, Black and their officers. To General Price I am under many obligations for assistance on the battle-field. He was at the head of his force leading them on, and sustaining them by his gallant bearing. General Pearce, with his Arkansas brigade (Gratiot's, Walker's, and Dockery's regiments of infantry), came gallantly to the rescue when sent for; leading his men into the Slickest of the fight, he contributed much to the success of the day. The commanders of regiments of my own brigade, Cols. Churchill, Greer, Embry, McIntosh, Hebert, and McRae, led their different regiments into action with great coolness and bravery, and were always in front of their men, cheering them on. Woodruff and Reid managed their batteries with great ability, and did much execution. For those officers and men who were particularly conspicuous, I will refer the Department to the reports of the different commanders. To my personal staff I am much indebted for the coolness and rapidity with which they carried orders about the field, and would call particular attention to my volunteer aids, Captain Bledsoe, Messrs. F. C. Armstrong, Ben Johnson (whose horse was killed under him), Hamilton Pike, and Major King. To Major Montgomery, Quartermaster, I am also indebted for much service as an aid during the battle; he was of much use to me. To Colonel McIntosh, at one time at the head of his regiment, and at other times in his capacity as Adjutant-General, I cannot give too much praise. Wherever the balls flew he was gallantly leading different regiments into action, and his presence gave confidence everywhere

I have the honor to be, sir,
Your obedient servant,

Brig.-General Commanding


General Orders, No. 27, August 12, 1861.

"The General commanding takes great pleasure in announcing to the army under his command the signal victory it has just gained.

"Soldiers of Louisiana, of Arkansas, of Missouri and of Texas, nobly have you sustained yourselves. Shoulder to shoulder you have met the enemy. Your first battle has been glorious, and your General is proud of you. The opposing force, composed mostly of the old regular army of the North, have thrown themselves upon you, but, by great gallantry and determined courage, you have entirely routed it with great slaughter. Several pieces of artillery and many prisoners are now in your hands. The commander-in-chief of the enemy is slain and many of the general officers wounded. The flag of the Confederacy now floats over Springfield, the stronghold of the enemy. The friends of our cause who have been imprisoned there are released. While announcing to the army the great victory, the General hopes that the laurels you have gained will not be tarnished by a single outrage. The private property of citizens of either party must be respected. Soldiers who fought as you did day before yesterday cannot rob or plunder.

"By Order General McCulloch
"James McIntosh, Captain and Adjutant-General."


On August 25, 1861, the camp in Missouri broke up and General McCulloch's army marched south toward Camp Jackson in Arkansas. On September 1, 1861 General with Colonel Hebert in command of the brigade, proceeded toward Bentonville. On September 5, 1861 the Third Louisiana reached Camp Jackson.